i3 from US in EU

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bio84

Hello!

It so happened that I am the owner of American i3 in Europe.

In the american firmware there are only three languages: English, French and Spanish. I need more European languages ​​(that is, I need a European firmware).

Question: how can I flash the machine with a European firmware, please advise me. I see two options so far:
1) find somewhere VIN of European i3, enter it in the form for downloading the update on www.bmw.com/update and through the standard update procedure through the USB to defame the machine with European firmware (if the system does not check the conformity)
2) download the Bimmercode app and try there to switch the geographic area (if this functionality exist in app)

There are two fully supported areas of code that you can easily update:
- sound/entertainment (free)
- map data (may cost you)

I've not tried to check which switches you might be able to tweak via coding. One that I know is available is to change the FM radio frequency channel spacing.

My guess is that you'd need to talk to a dealer.

What are you planning to do about charging the thing, as the socket is different. Someone might make a conversion cable, but I've not looked. As far as I can tell, the actual protocol is the same. Some US EVSEs may work on 50Hz, but check first. On some of them that are sold internationally, you might be able to swap the cable on the EVSE.

Thanks!

I am more interested in European languages.

Charging cable I want to buy this: https://ru.aliexpress.com/item/16A-SAE-J1772-to-IEC-62196-2-type-1-to-type-2-ev-plug-connector-5m/32817195375.html?src=criteo&albslr=223397014&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&src=criteo&albch=remarketing&acnt=RU&isdl=y&aff_short_key=UneMJZVf&albcp=lowerfunnel&device=pc&aff_platform=criteo&clickid=5b48790ca7786bed7fc70881a99f47e2_1531476237_32817195375

I know this is an old thread but am thrilled to find it!

I have a US market 2015 REX in the US and am moving to Amsterdam. I'd love to take the car, its perfect and only has 15K miles.

I have read CCS /fast charging will not work. Will regular L1 charging work if I buy a EU market charger?

Or not... ? :(

Most likely if you have a 220V EVSE (mains to car cable) it will be OK for home charging. Mine is ex-Japan and came with a Clipper Creek (USA) unit which is spec'd for 240V and 50/60 Hz 15 Amps which can be fitted with the Europe "commando" plug widely used in campsites here but I dont know about Europe. Apparently the public sockets are a bit of a dogs breakfast as infrastructure is developing.

There is a run-down of the versions here
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/i01-i3-94-rex-hat/wiring-functional-info/power-train/charge/eme-internal-charging-electronics/1VnYgwaIGd

The protocol is identical, the plugs used are different. In the USA, EVSEs all come with tethered cables. That's not true on all EVSEs in Europe...on those, you may need to supply your own cable. It is possible to swap the car's socket, but I don't know that that would cost. You could also make an adapter to go from the Mennekes plug to the J1772 needed on the car. If you were only going to charge at home, you could use most any 220-240vac 50/60Hz EVSE if you had the right cable connections. Note, taking one from the US may not pass the local electrical certifications (such as UL in the USA). If where you were going to live would allow installation of an EVSE, you could get a local one (maybe subsidized) that did not have a tethered cable, or buy a new cable with the J1772 plug on the end. Trying to use a CCS (high current DC) charger, might be a bit more involved...the odds of getting all of the interlock functions to work properly with an adapter just means more chance for error.

Does BMW offer European Delivery for i3's like their ICE cars, where you can pick it up at the factory, vacation in Europe, and then drop it off for them to put on a ship to the USA? If so, how do they tell USA-spec i3 owners how to charge while in Europe?????

vreihen said:
Does BMW offer European Delivery for i3's like their ICE cars, where you can pick it up at the factory, vacation in Europe, and then drop it off for them to put on a ship to the USA? If so, how do they tell USA-spec i3 owners how to charge while in Europe?????

No. Or at least they didn't when I bought mine. In theory, you could make (or maybe buy) a plug converter, but the conversion of the on-board socket would not make it particularly cost effective.

early models sold new in NZ were I think CCS1 but the infrastructure was standardised on rapidcharge plug standards Chademo and CCS2.
So BMW recalled cars already sold and changed the charge port. I'm suggesting that you can probably do the same, get a european port assembly fitted so long as the system is coded. That way AC charging would be with a Europe EVSE cord.

If you cant do the port change, just take an AC EVSE cord with you, change the plug for local conditions.
I recommend the ClipperCreek units (OEM to BMW) they make versions for different countries internally there are links on the PCB that set the current allowed, to suit the outlet you are using it on. If you dont have DC charging available then get the 16 Amp 220V one and use it on 20 Amp outlets.
They dont thermally monitor the plug terminals so you are "supposed" to only fit a plug for an outlet to supply 80% of its max. rating.

Back