bmw i3 motor bracket ( mount ) it broke ( 2016 no REX) - Manual for check and Replace...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my car is 2016 and my market is Mexico i have check other BMW i3 2016 in mexico and the same plastic composite...

aponte said:
my car is 2016 and my market is Mexico i have check other BMW i3 2016 in mexico and the same plastic composite...
This parts description for a U.S. 2016 i3 states that part #22116793377 was used from 09/02/2013 to 11/28/2015 and was superseded by part 22116878935 on 11/27/2015. There's no mention of plastic vs. aluminum. Maybe this information is incorrect or doesn't apply to an i3 built for Mexico.

aponte said:
i will create a PDF guide, in a week the new mount will arrive and upload. We have a 2 months to get it due covid.

@APONTE: Have you moved forward with replacing the motor mount? Since you seem to be breaking new ground doing this yourself, I'm really interested to hear the results.

Hi! yes we are goin to replace the motor mount in a 2015 not rex, We have a bit of a delay as the equipment we will use is being taken care of, but soon we will start doing it all in one weekend. Give me a couple of days and I'll send everything in PDF to whoever wants.

aponte said:
Hi! yes we are goin to replace the motor mount in a 2015 not rex, We have a bit of a delay as the equipment we will use is being taken care of, but soon we will start doing it all in one weekend. Give me a couple of days and I'll send everything in PDF to whoever wants.

Excellent! Best of luck!

Hello!! I wanted to give you an update, we are waiting for the arrival of some parts to start the change, without a doubt there will be a manual for this. While I have made a manual for you, you have never reviewed your piece for encouragement:

Check Manual PDF:
https://1drv.ms/b/s!An6SJIz7hZwhuJpVP5k6uMSwRmCe-g?e=YsC35z

For those who want to change this support, we have found that not only the support is needed, but the motor support changes the input, so it is necessary to change this and we have bought the screw as an extra.

For the persons that are searching to do the replacement I in a not REX BMW i3 2015 of a friend we need:

A) Motor Support Left:
a.
s!An6SJIz7hZwhuJo6lnUQVjLJWPh3ng
The tops one are the originals of this car (BMW i3 2015 Mexico NO REX) but aren’t compatible with the new support: https://1drv.ms/u/s!An6SJIz7hZwhorcbib1JIbfO3Qc3Dw
B) Screw :: 22116879664 that connect the motor support to the part thar break.

Regards from México. In follow this with BMW I have get a letter of BMW MX that say that this have been cause due other factor not related with a bad part. I have found with a engineer that the new aluminon part have been build with a ratio of 17, this means that support 17 times the normal force I hope this prevent to fail again. In the next weeks I will help my friend to replace the bracket.

Alex.

Correct me if I'm wrong...
1. There are TWO suspect plastic motor mounts on i3 REX.
2. There is only ONE suspect plastic motor mount on i3 BEV.
3. The ONE suspect plastic motor mount on i3 BEV is easy to spot from the above, right below the hatch panel, on the LEFT side of the motor assembly.
4. Photo below shows a suspect plastic motor mount in its natural habitat on the i3 BEV. This one is not broken yet, but it's probably thinking about it.
5. There's probably no way to tell from the photo if the bolt has been changed out for the newer bigger stronger bolt. The service record is probably the only way to know if the bolt has been upgraded. I don't believe this one is upgraded.
6. An upgraded bolt may/may not prevent the motor mount from blowing apart.

NOTE: The photo is from a 2015 BEV.

121603490_10221237283033046_7617013018962898492_o.jpg

Huh? I thought only the 2014 i3 was the year in which BMW had issues with the motor bracket bolts and the bracket itself?

I also thought that BMW replaced both the bolts and the brackets with higher quality metal or aluminum in all the 2014 models during a recall? So, are we to believe that all i3s from 2015 thru 2020 are still equipped with the inferior bolts and hard plastic motor brackets? When buying these cars used, its best to remove the rear motor cover and inspect the motor and REx.

Also, the paper work states that all repairs were done under warranty, so why was a quote of $6000 given?

Did u ever get your i3 fixed?
Why didn't u demand the aluminum brackets after the first time the plastic ones failed?
I requested BMW replace the plastic brackets with aluminum on my i3 that I purchased used and BMW replaced the brackets.

Valleeboi02 said:
I thought only the 2014 i3 was the year in which BMW had issues with the motor bracket bolts and the bracket itself?
Based on parts numbers and when parts were superseded, it appears that the installation of the aluminum motor mount bracket didn't start before then end of 2015 which would be the start of the 2016 model year.

Valleeboi02 said:
I also thought that BMW replaced both the bolts and the brackets with higher quality metal or aluminum in all the 2014 models during a recall?
Nope. Only a motor mount bracket bolt was replaced by a stronger version in our 2014 U.S. BEV. If after this bolt was replaced, the new stronger bolt or the bracket itself broke, BMW authorized replacing the bracket with the aluminum version. This version includes a larger, stronger mounting bolt as well.

Valleeboi02 said:
So, are we to believe that all i3s from 2015 thru 2020 are still equipped with the inferior bolts and hard plastic motor brackets?
In the U.S., the owners and lessees of all i3's with plastic composite motor mount brackets were notified by BMW about the free service campaign that replaced a motor mount bracket bolt with a stronger version and updated the system software that changed the behavior of the traction control system to minimize the rapid acceleration of a rear wheel when it lost contact with the driving surface (e.g., when dropping off a curb when turning out of a driveway, driving too fast over a speed bump, etc.). Some have opined that motor torque was reduced at low motor speeds (e.g., when starting from a stop). I can't verify that change because I don't often accelerate briskly from a stop.

So if a 2014 or 2015 i3 owner or lessee ignored the service campaign, the original motor mount bolt would still be in place.

i3's from model year 2016 onward should not be affected.

Valleeboi02 said:
When buying these cars used, its best to remove the rear motor cover and inspect the motor and REx.
By doing so, one could determine whether the plastic composite bracket was in place or maybe if that bracket were cracked. However, it would not allow one to know whether the mounting bolt had been replaced.

The day have became, sorry for all but covid have make this difficult due we have buy something and all. Prior my start I have see an online manual create by Tony Foley.

I will share my experience and link the manual of Tony, with this all person that will like to replace can doit.

We have all the necessary equipment and more than enough derivatives that we have asked a friend who has a workshop. This workshop was where we have done the same.

It took us approximately 2.5 hours to replace the part.

First of all, you must read the entire manual and thank Tony because thanks to him we are here having a case of success.

I recommend starting by reading the entire document, in my case we only replaced the left side, I don't think they can make this change without the following tools: Matco Tools Serpentine Belt Tool MSBT15 and Chartsea Metric Ratcheting Combination Wrench Set Handle Spanners Hand.

After thoroughly investigating, disconnecting something from the car requires a series of processes, for which we recommend doing the process without disconnecting any cables, taking great care that for nothing in the world the engine falls and remains at a height that does not pull the high voltage cables .

It is very important that no matter how one side of the car is lifted, the other is on the ground so that you can work with as much space as possible, since otherwise if the car is raised on a platform it will not be able to work properly.

No one with the minimum experience should have a problem doing it, I recommend being very careful when working next to the motor by the cable, just as we have not found a way to do the work without the tools that I mention.

The repair was for a friend's i3 to avoid the same thing happening to mine, we have replaced:

22116887267 (Motor Mount) x1
07119907560 (HEX Screw) x3
22116879664 (ASA Screw) x1

With this we have finished the process without any problem, we have noticed that the screw was a little bent so we strongly suggest replacing it and not using it again.

I leave you the manual that Tony Foley has contributed to the community and thanking Alexandru Szekely who also contributed a lot with photos.

Without a doubt I do not want to make another guide to thank these people, but whoever wants to do it, send me an email and I will gladly help you.

Link: https://1drv.ms/b/s!An6SJIz7hZwhuoYDtj9DEIEzs7_LiA?e=ZXmIRU

aponte said:
The repair was for a friend's i3 to avoid the same thing happening to mine, we have replaced:

22116887267 (Motor Mount) x1
07119907560 (HEX Screw) x3
22116879664 (ASA Screw) x1

How certain are you on the x3 bolts... 07-11-9-907-560
BMW shows this as a long sway bar link bolt "Hex Bolt 071000"

Back