alohart

Re: How many have had the drive train malfunction error?

Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:13 am

bwilson4web wrote:
bwilson4web wrote:RATS!!!

I've joined the club.
GOOD NEWS! Low oil.
Hmm, is that really good news? Hopefully, your REx engine isn't burning or leaking so much oil that the level has dropped to the warning level.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

bwilson4web

Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:03 pm

alohart wrote:
bwilson4web wrote: . . .
GOOD NEWS! Low oil.
Hmm, is that really good news? Hopefully, your REx engine isn't burning or leaking so much oil that the level has dropped to the warning level.
I am confident I know how to deal with oil problems. I'm also learning German technical terms:
From BimmerLink.

The other hypothesis of water in generator or cabling would have been more difficult.

Bob Wilson

ps. I'm retired so I decided to return to the BMW dealership via the local bus system. Being 67 with a medicare card, it cost: (1) $0.50 and (2) ~2 hrs. During the ride, I listened to my podcasts and enjoyed seeing the bus route.
20k/27k mi 2014 BMW i3-REx
10k/10k mi 2017 Prius Prime

FrancisAi3

Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:42 am

Wow, didn't realize till now that the CEL is quite common (pardon me, new to the forum and just had my i3 for 2 months).

I only had that CEL come on once after using REx the very first time for about 5 miles. Never did it come back on again. But that may be coz I haven't had REx turn on again. Out of the 2700mi that I've driven the i3, I only had to use REx for 5mi.

Maybe I should force REx to activate to make sure I don't have any issues with the generator or something.
2017 BMW i3 REx

alohart

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:28 am

FrancisAi3 wrote:Maybe I should force REx to activate to make sure I don't have any issues with the generator or something.
The REx engine will automatically run if it isn't used for a certain period of time (a REx owner will tell you how long). So no need to force it to run.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

FrancisAi3

Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:39 am

alohart wrote:
FrancisAi3 wrote:Maybe I should force REx to activate to make sure I don't have any issues with the generator or something.
The REx engine will automatically run if it isn't used for a certain period of time (a REx owner will tell you how long). So no need to force it to run.
Oh, thanks Art. That's good to know. It's been almost 2 months since REx turned on. It might be due for a cycle soon. I'll just let it run its course.
2017 BMW i3 REx

yahh0o

Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:55 pm

Here is my experience with BMW i3 “Driver Transmission Malfunction(DTM)” msg.
Try this:
When msg "DTM" displays. Exit car, remote lock your i3, walk off for 10-15 min.(est. time only), come back, and starts the car again. The "DTM" msg should be gone. You can D or R from P. If the check engine light(CEL) stays on, no worry; just drive for at least 5-8 miles or to your next destination and then park let the car rest for 10-15 min.(est. time only). CEL should be off on next starts. I hope this works for you guys, It works for me 2 times in 1wk. How the DTM msg got there? Long story, but going to make it short. I failed to charge at a local DCFC station, msg was "unable to lock charger to charge" made 3 attempts. I guess that triggered the i3's computer and won't let it starts by displaying "DTM" msg for safety reasons? Anyhow hope this works for your guys and ease your worry.

amcdonal86

Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:39 pm

I had plans to buy a used 2014 BMW i3 REX, but now I am having serious doubts after reading this thread. It doesn't seem there's any signs you can look for as to whether or not this is going to be an issue with a particular car, it just randomly appears on certain cars, and can cause huge headaches!

The fact that the car can often not be shut off or ends up stuck in park and has to be dragged onto a flatbed is a major concern to me.

Does anyone have a handle on how widespread this problem is? I can't imagine having this issue on a car that is potentially out of warranty.

i3PL

Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:03 am

I bought a used BMW i3 REX from 2014. I didn't read the forum before, because I though that "I am buying almost a new car, this kind of problem will not happen to me".

I bought car in March - from then, i3 was in service 4 times - it takes each together about 2 months. Every of this service was paid by BMW - I got 2 years warranty extra. Now I am really happy, that they gave me this, because BMW spend for this car almost $5k.

Last time I got drivetrain malfunction error, they change the main cable and module/driver of drive train. I asked them for service report to see and check what exactly parts was replaced - I got another REX in family, which doesn't have a warranty and got same problems.

Before I bought i3 I didn't even think that I will need the warranty. Now I know that when it going to ends, I need to sell this car and buy another one with warranty.
Warranty is MUST-HAVE for this car.

amcdonal86

Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:58 am

Are the BEV models more reliable then? Perhaps I need to just lose the training wheels and go full BEV.

Also, it is possible to find 2014 i3s with the BMW CPO warranty, but it appears that only tacks on 1 year to the warranty, and there seems to be a lot of exclusions. Would it even cover issues with the REX? Or "drivetrain issues"?

Milam

Thu Sep 07, 2017 8:54 am

I am fortunate.

I have had zero problems with my i3 REX

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”