Ways to fix chip in quarter panel

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srivenkat

Hi All,

I am currently considering an i3 that has a chip in the quarter panel. Since it's a CFRP panel, I am wondering what different ways exist in terms of a repair and whether BMW sells filler/touchup for things like this.

Thanks in advance.

Srivenkat said:
I am currently considering an i3 that has a chip in the quarter panel. Since it's a CFRP panel, I am wondering what different ways exist in terms of a repair and whether BMW sells filler/touchup for things like this.
CFRP is used only in the cabin "frame" and roof. All exterior panels other than the roof and glass surfaces are thermoplastic panels of some sort which are much less expensive than CFRP panels would be. Someone with body repair experience could tell you what would be needed to fill this chip assuming that it's deeper than the paint. BMW does sell touch-up paint and clear coat for the final finish.

Have you checked eBay for a replacement panel in the correct color? From seeing pictures of an i3 apart for a charger port repair, I'm under the impression that the body panels are only held on with a few screws and are easily removable. Maybe I'm wrong, though.....

Back