Rear door open warning

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gps1539

I'm increasingly getting warnings about a rear door (usually the RHS) being open on my '15 REX.
Are others seeing a similar issue. Is there a sensor to adjust or clean? Is a trip to the dealer in order (I have a few months of warranty to go).

Mine will show the RHS rear door open if I open it and then close it. I have to get out and give it a firm close to make the warning go out. The LHS rear door sensor doesn't seem to be as sensitive.

To support the front seat belts, the i3's rear doors have a latch on the top and bottom and it seems that while the door may appear to be latched, both may not be fully. I find you have to close the rear doors with a bit more force than you might on other designs to ensure both latches are fully engaged. While it's possible the sensor or wiring could be at issue, I'm guessing it's just they need a bit more force when closing.

Thanks for the replies

I'm used to slamming the doors on German cars, my old VW was similar, but the i3 will show 'open' even after a slamming and driving a few miles. Interesting PBNB sees the issue on the RHS more often and that i guess is also the passenger side in Vancouver.

Back