"Unable to Charge" L1/L2 charge

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnylingo

Had this start a few months ago and it's gradually been getting worse to the point that L1/L2 charging fails most of the time. I plug in, get a flashing blue light for about 10 seconds, then it turns red with "Unable to charge" message displayed on the screen.

This happens both at my ChargePoint home charger, home L1 10 amp charger, and ChargePoint and Clipper Creek L2 chargers in the neighborhood. My girlfriend has an e-Golf and is able to use these no problem. Tried adjusting the current level in the i3 settings, but no luck there.

I have zero problems with DC Fast charging. Multiple EVgo and ChargePoint 35-50 kW chargers work every time.

Seems like it could be temperature related, as I had a 4/5 success rate last weekend when daytime temperatures were over 90F. In the last couple days it's been below 75F and I'm 0/5.

2018 i3s REx. Currently is coded as of July 2019 but this started in June.

Seems like you have eliminated the EVSE as the culprit by trying to charge with multiple EVSE's. Your i3 must still be under warranty, so a trip to your dealer seems like the obvious next step.

Just left the dealer with my X3 loaner for the weekend. As suspected, it is a hardware issue and they need to replace a module related to charging.

Should get the i3 back middle of next week and will post full description.

They ran diagnostics and saw code 805506. Checked all wires and found no damage. Replaced the LIM (charing interface module), performed programming and encode new control unit, verified L1/L2 charging then worked.

Car was able to L1/L2 charge without issue for about a month, then started having problems in early November. Due to the holiday I couldn't bring it in right away and noticed a strong correlation between air temperatures and success rate. Warmer temperatures would result in success, cooler temperatures or trying to charge at night would always fail. DC fast charging always worked fine regardless.

So, it went back to the dealer on Monday. The tech really has no idea what's going on so he's uploaded the charging logs to BMW.

Got it back last week. Seemed like they could never definitively state a root cause, but since they'd already replaced the charging module 2 months ago, they this time did the charging port and surrounding wiring and now L1/L2 charging is working without issue on any charger.

The connectors on the charge port being just a bit off may explain why it was working under warm temperatures but not when cold.

Back