Driver side wheel pokes out more than passenger side

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sipabit

Maybe you guys have some suggestions. Although I doubt it's related to the spacers I recently installed, I noticed that the wheel pokes out more on the drive side. The passenger side is pretty close to flush with the fender. Car is not lowered. Stock suspension.

Any ideas why this might be? I checked the tire pressure. Wasn't an issue. I unmounted the problem wheel, checked to make sure everything was installed correctly, confirmed it was, remounted, took a test drive, came back and no change. It still sticks out further than the passenger side.

Videos here:
Driver side - https://www.dropbox.com/s/5i5knz53mpudcnd/IMG_2588.MOV?dl=0
Passenger side - https://www.dropbox.com/s/0s4frmxbpjt52we/IMG_2589.MOV?dl=0

Thoughts on why this may be?

My next step is to swap wheels on the front to see if the problem moves with the wheel. I'm also having the car lowered soon and will have my installer assess it. Curious if you guys have any ideas though. Thanks in advance.

Hi sipabit,

Just to state the obvious, check to make sure that your size 155/70-R19 tires/wheels (narrow tire + narrow wheel) are mounted on the front of the vehicle and your size 175/60-R19 tires/wheels (wide tire + wide wheel) are mounted on the rear.

I once purchased a new set of Bridgestones and the car looked just like your's because the location of installed (at a BMW dealer no less!) tires/wheels was reversed on one side of the car.

Thanks for the response. I thought it would be silly but I'm so desperate and you got me a little paranoid that after reading your post, I did go downstairs to check on the car. The tires are in the correct locations so unfortunately no quick fix. I'll get an alignment and see if there's any change. But first I have an appointment with BMW to do a visual check to confirm everything at least looks okay.

They wanted to charge me $375 for an alignment and stated that even if they find that the alignment DOESN'T fix the probably, the bill would still be on me. Ha! Nothing against BMW. Just the manager there who wouldn't even acknowledge that one side clearly looks different from the other (regardless of the reason). But that's a whole other story for another thread.

That's an interesting thought. Unfortunately I wouldn't know. Nice thought though. I'll have to have my shop check next time I get new tires.

UPDATE:
No real news. I got an alignment which you can find on my IG page @funcentric and it didn't correct the poke. I did replace the 20mm spacers in the front with 15mm so it's less obvious, but the underlying problem still exists. Just not as noticable now.

Nice thought though. I'll have to have my shop check next time I get new tires.

Or use one of these and check yourself.
https://www.amleo.com/leonard-plastic-pocket-tree-caliper/p/PPC/?kc=amlshop19b,&mkwid=sAn6LT2sr|dc&pcrid=252719813432&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&prd=PPC,PPC&utm_source=google&utm_term=&utm_campaign=&utm_medium=cpc&slid=&pgrid=55954920847&ptaid=aud-310508348091:pla-293946777986&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6KrtBRDLARIsAKzvQIH8AvdkuR44LS_egWvWfen60jjsgqjzmoepsl7FpRVx9t55FoLquhgaAmJaEALw_wcB

Back