Dreaded drivetrain error

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chocfish

I own a 2015 Rex (which I love!) however yesterday it threw the drivetrain error message - car still drive-able but wouldn’t DC fast charge. Drove to my destination on the Rex and it’s charging fine today on AC. Error still showing 😕.
I covered 180km yesterday on a mix of battery and Rex before it threw the message, also it was raining...do you think it’s just condensation?? A couple of weeks ago when it swapped out to the Rex it became really really slow...I pulled over because I was holding up the traffic and it seemed to self resolve..wondering if the 2 things are connected!!??
Any advice gladly received as I have to drive it back home (250km) in a couple of days so I can get it to the BMW dealer.

Hey man,

The day after I bought mine from a dealer in Marietta, GA, I unplugged it from my Air BnB and hit the road. As soon as it switched to ReX, I got the "drivetrain malfunction--continued use is possible--get serviced soon" message. Two days later, it went out and didn't reappear. However...

I called the dealer and told them what had happened, and that I wanted them to pay for it to get checked out which they happily agreed to do. After the diagnostic, it came back that the high voltage cable had an error, so the paid for it to be replaced, then cleared the code. According to the service fella, they can get condensation inside and cause them to malfunction/fail. Total cost to dealer for repair was US $775, or thereabouts.

Anyway, I hope this helps, and it's certainly not a horribly-expensive fix.

Chester

That price isn't a killer, but it's substantial enough that I'm glad you mentioned it so I can be prepared. Thanks!

Got Any respons of what was wrong? Same exsct thing happen to me today. Also The cooking fan in The from keeps going on max speed it seems as it is loud as hell.

Back