TPMS reset question/problem.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjsean0308

DId the winter tire swap on my car today. This time the Tire Pressure reset seemed to take forever and now when it finally completed it's not showing the pressures in the iDrive. It's saying the system is active and all four wheels turned green, just no pressures, only the double dashes next to each green wheel.

Anyone had issues resetting the TPMS system after a wheel and tire swap? This is the second season with these winter tires, they are OEM wheels, tires, and TPMS sensors. Last season they reset quickly and showed the tire pressures as soon as the reset was finished.

Thanks gang.

Well, for anyone reading this later on in life and having the same issue. Try letting the car go fully to sleep, like overnight. Then do the reset right before you head for the highway. I did some reading on newTis.org. and it said the system is looking for 9 minutes above 20 Km per hour. I feel I achieved that several times and go the system to come online, just no pressures displayed. The next day I hit the reset before hitting the highway and it reset very quickly and immediately displayed the pressures upon completion. So pure magic or maybe the loose nut behind the wheel. Maybe my 12v battery is dying, who knows, but it working now. Hope this helps someone someday.

This is very helpful, thank you for the follow-up post. Did you happen to notice a "generator/compressor" sound following the tire change? I just had new rear tires put on (experienced the same issue as you described) but am also getting a noise + vibration when driving. Hoping it just needs a good night's sleep...

Glad it helped you out. If your getting a compressor type noise, that’s absolutely not related to the TPMS. A vibration could be from a poor balance. Another thing to check is the front rims clearance to the struts. If your wide rear rims got put on the front they will contact the struts. That would give you a grinding noise and vibration.

Please get the car looked at soon if you don’t see any obvious rim issues.

The AC compressor has had some failures and it can fill the system with metal shards. That’s a huge deal requiring the battery to be dropped out.

Back