iDrive Touch Phantom Period & Incomplete Destination Entries...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eNate

Staff member
Two annoying quirks I'm curious if the rest of you see on your cars, relating to the version of iDrive found on the 2017 model year.

The first is the problem of the phantom period when using iDrive Touch to write in entries using the iDrive touchpad in the center of the controller.

Alex on Autos demonstrates the move here in his video (about 2:02), and he doesn't experience the phantom period:

https://youtu.be/bDRRWTTN9yQ?t=120

When I do this (say, for instance Navigation > Points of Interest > Search Online > click ), when I 'tap' the touch controller like Alex did in the video, mine registers a period, and the iDrive voice reads back "Period."

To get around this, to select "Search Online" I have to press down holding the perimeter of the knob (two or three fingers), which avoids pressing the touch sensitive surface. Doing this, no 'period' is registered.

Has there been a software update that addresses this?

Second observation: Looking up directions to lunch at Picante, a restaurant just shy of 5 miles away in the bordering city, I partially enter "PICAN" and then press enter to search. iDrive comes up with Pican restaurant, about 2 miles away in a bordering city in the other direction, but doesn't pull up Picante as an option. There are normally maybe five close matches presented in a list to chose from when performing searches.

It seems weird that the system wouldn't search for partial entries within the geographic area. I see from usage that iDrive searches destinations in an expanding circle if it can't find results in the immediate area. Within five miles seems close enough that this wouldn't be an issue.

Back