One Cell Module Overheating?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRK002

Hi everyone, So there was a Drivetrain Error which Cropped up out of the blue and required a visit to dealership. Following are the errors that were indicated by ISTA+ They have replaced a cell module that was overheating for which I paid partially.
However, the problem is that the car was not been subjected to any situation that could give rise to high temperature, any recently, when this error manifested. (No rapid accelerations, no excess ambient temperature, no big load) And I am wondering what could be the real reason behind this. Maybe the temperature sensors are not properly calibrated and giving out wrong readings? (I heard that there are 4 sensors in each module) Maybe cell monitoring modules are faulty? Have anyone else experienced the same or perhaps has heard about this particular issue?
Thank you all very much!

Data version: R4.19.30
Programming data: 4.19.30
Vehicle: I/101/HAT/i3/IB1/AUTO/ECE/LL/2013/09
Intleve(cur.):1001-19-03-552 Int. lev.(tar.):1001-19-07-539
21F12A High-voltage battery, cell supervision circuit 6: Excess temperature in the cell block
21F13D High-voltage battery, switch contactors: Switch-off after a fault
21F153 High-voltage battery, safety concept 2: Safety circuit to switch off the switch contactors, switch-off detected
21F147 High-voltage battery, safety concept 2: Temperature too high or unknown
21F15C SME, safety concept: Switch-off of switch contactors by safety circuit
21E705 Power management: Cyclical recharge not successful
21E96F Driving readiness information: cannot be established after driver's driving readiness request
21E921 Electronic immobiliser: Non-authentic response received
22281C High-voltage power management: High-voltage system not started in spite of request
222860 High-voltage battery unit, multiple fault: Category 7 fault, immediate opening of switch contactors
22285E High-voltage battery unit, multiple fault: Category 5 fault, reduced Range
22285F High-voltage battery unit, multiple fault: Category 6 fault, opening switch contactors
2228B8 Emergency manager information, EDME: Unable to activate driving readiness
8040B9 De-activation of terminal 30B: Top startability limit reached
8042AB Front wiper (LIN): not yet initialised or initialisation failed
804398 Automatic air recirculation control (AUC) sensor: Line disconnection or short circuit to B+
804399 Automatic air recirculation control (AUC) sensor: invalid PWM signal

Only thing I can think of is the cell that was replaced was getting very weak, and as such, heating up while being charged or discharged compared to the rest of the good cells. As the cells age the internal resistance of the cell increases, which produces heat when it's discharging or charging, so if it was a particularly weak cell it was producing enough heat to set off the warning.

Hi everyone, So there was a Drivetrain Error which Cropped up out of the blue and required a visit to dealership. Following are the errors that were indicated by ISTA+ They have replaced a cell module that was overheating for which I paid partially.
However, the problem is that the car was not been subjected to any situation that could give rise to high temperature, any recently, when this error manifested. (No rapid accelerations, no excess ambient temperature, no big load) And I am wondering what could be the real reason behind this. Maybe the temperature sensors are not properly calibrated and giving out wrong readings? (I heard that there are 4 sensors in each module) Maybe cell monitoring modules are faulty? Have anyone else experienced the same or perhaps has heard about this particular issue?
Thank you all very much!

Data version: R4.19.30
Programming data: 4.19.30
Vehicle: I/101/HAT/i3/IB1/AUTO/ECE/LL/2013/09
Intleve(cur.):1001-19-03-552 Int. lev.(tar.):1001-19-07-539
21F12A High-voltage battery, cell supervision circuit 6: Excess temperature in the cell block
21F13D High-voltage battery, switch contactors: Switch-off after a fault
21F153 High-voltage battery, safety concept 2: Safety circuit to switch off the switch contactors, switch-off detected
21F147 High-voltage battery, safety concept 2: Temperature too high or unknown
21F15C SME, safety concept: Switch-off of switch contactors by safety circuit
21E705 Power management: Cyclical recharge not successful
21E96F Driving readiness information: cannot be established after driver's driving readiness request
21E921 Electronic immobiliser: Non-authentic response received
22281C High-voltage power management: High-voltage system not started in spite of request
222860 High-voltage battery unit, multiple fault: Category 7 fault, immediate opening of switch contactors
22285E High-voltage battery unit, multiple fault: Category 5 fault, reduced Range
22285F High-voltage battery unit, multiple fault: Category 6 fault, opening switch contactors
2228B8 Emergency manager information, EDME: Unable to activate driving readiness
8040B9 De-activation of terminal 30B: Top startability limit reached
8042AB Front wiper (LIN): not yet initialised or initialisation failed
804398 Automatic air recirculation control (AUC) sensor: Line disconnection or short circuit to B+
804399 Automatic air recirculation control (AUC) sensor: invalid PWM signal
HI
DO YOU FIND SOLUTION ? THANKS

Back