2017 BEV: "Drivetrain Malfunction" - Stranded!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eNate

Staff member
Shoot, another weird incident with my 2017 BEV today.

On my way to work, stopped off for 10 minutes to get coffee, and when I got back in the car upon Start I get a bong and "Drivetrain Malfunction - Contact Service" (or something to that extent -- it was undriveable).

The [P] Park indicator on the shifter stalk was flashing, and when I tried to shift to Drive or Reverse, it would flash for a moment and immediately switch back to [P]. On the Display, the overhead silhouette depicted an orange box on at the rear where the motor is.

I tried shutting down, opening the door, restarting, all to no avail. I hopped on the bus and dashed home to get the wife's car, returned about an hour later, and the dang thing started right up like nobody's business.

Obviously I need to get in for service to poke around. I searched for "malfunction" and see there are different types of problems, and that this isn't a widespread issue. It was cold overnight and low humidity but not wet. No previous indications of this kind of trouble.

Check your trunk extension isn't putting strain/chaffing on wiring/cables/connections. Someone posted on the FB i3 page I think, about this happening to them, and tracing it back to that.

I just did a search of the Facebook group for "Wokeby" and for "trunk extension," and the only hit was the YouTube video posted by the creator demonstrating its installation. No reports of drivetrain problems.

You're not by chance thinking of my post from a couple of weeks ago where my car wouldn't shift into park? And I mentioned I had recently installed my trunk extension and questioned whether I somehow caused the problem?

Back