2017 REx shows engine light

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heelots

I recently got my (new to me) CPO 2017 i3 REx last week, and I've been loving it.

The new wrinkle, however, is that I just started seeing an ENGINE light on the display panel behind the steering wheel.

I know the REx engine *has* worked...it kicked in a couple times on the way back from the dealer I purchased it from (it was a 340 mile drive to get the exact one I wanted).

I took it to my local BMW dealer's service department first thing this morning, but their i3 tech doesn't work weekends...so I need to schedule an appointment for next week.

I'm not planning any long drives between now and then...but I'm wondering what range of issues this engine light could point to.

The light aside, the car drives and recharges perfectly...no other issues.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks...

Not over-filling the gas tank are you? If you don't stop filling at the first 'click' of the gas-pump handle auto-stop, and keep adding fuel, it overflows into the carbon fuel vapor recovery canister and can cause issues.

A few 2017 owners have reported it coming on and the Dealer tracing it to a faulty fuel surge valve.

Some also had it coming on when the REx is low on oil.

Most likely cause of check engine light is bad seal on gas tank. Remove gas cap and clean gasket under cap. After 3 starts light should disappear. Worked for me. Otherwise my dealer said to ignore check engine light. This is also good advice in my case (2015 i3 REx).

Thanks! Makes sense that things falling under the broad umbrella of “emissions” would kick off a “check engine” light.

We haven’t been overfilling the gas tank (at least not the one-and-only time we’ve had to put gas in it), but I’ll definitely take a look at the gasket and seal on the filler cap!

Thought I'd reply with what the solution turned out to be...according to the Pacific BMW Service Dept.

Apparently, there was a glitch generated by a sensor within the A/C compressor that caused the engine light to illuminate.

That's exactly the way it was explained to me...a "glitch."

By downloading the car's memory, they were able to read that the engine light was illuminated...which they had to do, because the SECOND the service rep sat in the car, the light — which had been on for a WEEK — suddenly disappeared. (I showed him a photo I took, and thankfully, he believed me.)

They noted that there were no faults in either the A/C compressor sensor or the compressor itself, so they reset some stuff and that was that.

So, it was a "glitch."

I'm not sure that I 100% buy it, but it's the best info I have.

Back