Transmission making noise

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbairro

Hello,

has anyone had a transmission replaced ?

My i3 REX last week started to making a claking noise when accelerating and when it made reggen, motor mounts where ok and the noise seems to come from the transmission, only other simpton is that when in park the car allays rolled allot don't know if it was normal.

the dealer says it is a bad transmission...and the replacement requires to drop the motor a 10h job or more...

car has 85k km ... a bad transmission at 85k km is it normal, what could cause a bad transmission.

A failed transmission isn't normal at 85k km. However, unexpected failures could occur to any component.

If your car rolls even when in 'P' without the parking brake on, maybe the transmission brake has broken with pieces of this mechanism causing the noises that you hear.

the dealer called and said the transmission was busted and the eletric drive train is full off water coolent!!! WTFFF

the repair cost is almost the value of the car, bmw i3 sucks...how in the world a eletric motor fails with 85k km!!!!

I work on a factory that has huge eletric motors running for 24h a day for years, and they dont fail as bad has mine failed ...

Don't know what to do... going to ask BMW for good will but with my luck ...i don't know.

Let us know how it goes with BMW. You are right, the transmission should not fail at 85K - but with new technology and build quality that hasn't been longevity tested and proven through years of use in multiple car models, this can happen. The BMW Mini Cooper initial automatic option was a Steptronic continuously variable transmission (CVT), whose build quality was variable to say the least. Many owners experienced total transmission failure around the 75K mark - the transmission's drive belt would break, and the transmission would then instantly tear itself into scrap metal, resulting in a $7K repair bill. Hopefully BMW will step up and help with your repairs.

The dealer says that the entire drive unit (eletric motor) has to be replaced ...

out of warranty i don't now what to do!! to expensive...

I'm trying to ask BMW for goodwill ...

I3 out of warranty is very very dangerous...

I3 out of warranty is very very dangerous...

There is a risk-factor, but failures like this are rare, one in a thousand cars - of course that doesn't help, if your car ends up being that one.

When I looked at buying an extended warranty for my 2015, I decided to just risk it and take the chance. Cars lose 20% of their value every year anyway. Trade in value of my 2015 if it had high mileage would only be around $9K.

If my car ends up needing an expensive repair, I will just selling the car as salvage. The car is worth almost trade-in value just sold as a non-running wreck for parts.

Because this failure is so uncommon, I'd feel comfortable buying a used motor and transmission from a junked i3 for considerably less cost than BMW charges for new parts. Unfortunately, finding a mechanic to do the swap would likely be difficult.

Back