Hatch solenoid failure? Can't be opened...

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chuckhawley

I have searched for anyone else who has reported this, but so far I haven't found an answer. Yesterday, without warning, my 2014 REX would not open its hatch. The interior release button and the hatch latch would not do anything but make a peculiar buzzing noise. The noise sounds like a solenoid clattering, but it is so consistent it might also be due to a warning buzzer of some sort. It last for about a second, then silence. Holding the release buttons will not make the sound continue.

There is nothing jammed in the latch mechanism, and there no interior release, nor can you take apart the inside of the hatch to get to interesting parts when the hatch is closed. So, it's off to the dealer, I suppose.

Any ideas? I realize the frunk and the gas filler doors have manual releases, but not the hatch (or does it?)

Thanks,

Chuck

You could try holding the bottom of the tailgate in while pressing the open to see if that might help.

Could your 12vdc battery have failed? All sorts of weird things happen when that occurs. The latch or button sends an open request to the computer, and the computer then sends a signal to open the hatch. If the 12vdc is weak, it may not be able to activate the latch.

If the car is on and READY is showing, does that make any difference?

This just happened to my 2014 REx today. Every time I pull on the handle, it just makes a rapid clicking sounds for about a second but won't open no matter how many times I try or how hard I pull. How did you fix yours?

I've had mine get "stuck “ like that twice, when a strap and a towel got caught between the latch and the anchor. But I would expect something similar had the latch failed. In my instances it took a very strong pull to get it unjammed.

Mine just failed today. Just makes a chattering noise but will not open. I took the entire inside panel off the hatch door did not see a manual release strap. Mine is a 2014 Rex. Would love some advice on this.

HI everyone. Curious if a solution has been found? This exact same issue happened to me this week. Now my console senses that the trunk is "open" and won't let the rear camera work, plus the constant error. But the trunk is definitely not open, it's totally stuck closed. Up until last week, I had occasional issues with the trunk not wanting to open, but now there seems to be nothing I can do to fix it.

Has anyone been successful for releasing the hatch lock when having the solenoid chatter issue?

The video posted is showing the exact symptom that I'm experiencing in 2014 BEV, however my hatch still would not open even with inserting the screwdriver to move the small cylindrical release to the right side as the video shows.

I can feel the cylindrical release move, but the hatch still wouldn't open.

Has anyone gotten any luck on manually open the hatch?

Replacing the actuator lock looks simple enough, but can only be done once the hatch is open. Unfortunately I am not getting luck with this step.

Any help is appreciated...

Back