Odd sound off the line - intermittent

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arm

Hey Folks,

Haven't been here in a while. So I hope all of you are doing well.

I've a 2019 i3s and I noticed something odd the other day during some calm night driving.

Our i3's have a electric motor whine/whistle that you can hear when the windows are down as you slow down and come to a stop. That's normal. However, the other evening, I noticed this odd whistling/almost brake squealing sound off the line as I accelerate. It's a constant pitch (unlike the electric motor whine that changes pitch as you slow down or speed up) but goes away once I'm under way.

It's definitely from the drive-train and not the brakes but I used the brakes sound as the example (imagine you are slowing down and that brake (high pitched) squeal as you come to a stop because that is what it sounds like.

It isn't something that constantly happens either. Perhaps 50% of the time when I'm leaving from a stop. I drove around and could sometimes hear it and sometimes it simply would not happen.

Any ideas on what it could be? I am hoping this isn't a drive-train/motor issue as I have been seriously considering buying this car out a the end of my lease.

Cheers

Back