Car will only charge at home!?!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeinSD

Hopefully, someone has an answer for this - it appears that my BMW i3 2017 REX will only charge when it is home. I have set both the car and the application to charge immediately. At this point, I do not care about tariffs/leave time etc. I just want to be able to charge my car when I am at work at it will not charge anywhere except for home. It's maddening....so if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Without a location indication in your profile, the answer may differ.

Do both EVSEs use a tethered cable? Does anyone else successfully charge at that location? Are you sure that the locking button is coming out fully (there's a switch in that button that must be closed for the car to charge)? Is the unit at work a CCS unit? If so, those connectors tend to be a lot heavier, and it can mess with the connection...some have found that holding it up slightly until charging starts resolves that issue...the normal ACV inputs become serial data lines when CCS charging, and if the communications is not clear, it won't work.

The connector just may not be fully seated, or the EVSE itself could be defective, or maybe just turned off! Are there any indicator lights or display on the EVSE? If so, are they active? If idiot lights, are there any faults indicated?

What color, if illuminated, is the light on the car around the charge port?

Back