Noisy Fan

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fisher99

On a hot day like today (98 degrees), if I come home and plug the car in to chart (car is sitting outside), shortly I hear fans kick on, I assume, to cool the battery pack. There is a fairly quiet fan noise coming from up front and a fairly noisy fan noise coming from the rear. Sounds like an unbalanced fan. A vibrating type of noise. This is a 2013 i3/REX. Anybody know if the rear fan is an easily accessible item or is it actually buried in the battery pack somewhere?

I only get the noisy rear fan when I have been running the range extender. Otherwise, just the AC. I think the rear fan is thermostatically controlled to cool the range extender.

Fisher99 said:
On a hot day like today (98 degrees), if I come home and plug the car in to chart (car is sitting outside), shortly I hear fans kick on, I assume, to cool the battery pack. There is a fairly quiet fan noise coming from up front and a fairly noisy fan noise coming from the rear. Sounds like an unbalanced fan. A vibrating type of noise. This is a 2013 i3/REX. Anybody know if the rear fan is an easily accessible item or is it actually buried in the battery pack somewhere?
The fan in the front pulls air though the A/C condenser (heat exchanger). The sound in the rear is the A/C compressor that is in front of the drive motor. The compressor can be loud when working hard or when failing :D

So I was thinking "hey, this is great! I now know that it's not a noisy fan. Just a compressor". Then you mention the "f" word... I recall seeing another thread about the cost of repair after a failed compressor contaminated the battery pack cooling system. Yikes!

But now that you mention compressor, this does really sound like a compressor rather than a fan, so maybe the noise I'm hearing is normal and not an indication of failure. Wish there was another i3/REX in my area that I could compare with.

Fisher99 said:
But now that you mention compressor, this does really sound like a compressor rather than a fan, so maybe the noise I'm hearing is normal and not an indication of failure. Wish there was another i3/REX in my area that I could compare with.
The compressor can be surprisingly loud, even when working correctly.

You could also listen to the compressor on an i3 BEV which has the same compressor as a REx. However, comparing the compressor sounds of 2 i3's could be difficult because the compressor is a variable speed device whose speed depends on climate control settings, battery pack temperature, cabin temperature, etc.

Back