Range Issues - New Owner

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avasu01

New i3 Owner, First Post (Go easy on me!)

I bought a 2015 i3 BEV from a private party in California. The car was loaded onto a truck and delivered to me in Atlanta yesterday. Upon delivery, the battery was completely dead. I had to get it towed back home where I was able to plug in my Level 2 charger (Axfast 32amp). I let it charge up all night. This morning when I sat in the car, it says its at 100%, but is only showing me a range of 8 miles.

Did I do something wrong?

That does not show "actual" miles available. It is called a GOM or "Guess-O-Meter"
My own "guess" is that the car sat for a long period of time and was repeatedly powered up without moving anywhere, or perhaps shuffled around and left ON for long periods of time eventually draining the battery. This affects the GOM because it really doesn't know.

Try driving it around a bit. The range is a guesstimate based on the last 20 minutes or so of driving.

If indeed your range is 8 miles fully charged, BMW will be installing a new high voltage battery at no charge - the HV battery is warrantied for 10 years to be at no lower than 70% of 'new' capacity

If, during showing the vehicle, people sat in it, turned it on, cranked up the HVAC and sat there for awhile, there could have been a large load on the battery, but no miles driven. The readout is an estimate on how the vehicle was last used, and an expectation that the same use pattern will continue. Change the use pattern, the estimate will change.

Back