2021 i3s

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oscarlevin

Keep loosing radio presets. Nothing under I drive vehicle settings to change door locking, can’t turn off radio, radio station changes by itself while driving. Anyway to reboot I drive in 2021 i3s?

Did you create a Driver PROFILE and assign it to a specific FOB?
If not, you should do that.
Also don't travel with 2 FOBS in the car. We had a similar issue when we first got an X3 and my wife and I both had our FOBS in the car at the same time.

EvanstonI3 said:
Also don't travel with 2 FOBS in the car. We had a similar issue when we first got an X3 and my wife and I both had our FOBS in the car at the same time.
My wife and I always travel in our i3 each carrying our own fob. This has never caused any problem. Apparently, an i3 knows which fob is carried by the driver and uses the driver's profile for presets, mirror adjustments, etc. However, confusion can occur when the driver accidentally carries a fob other than the one assigned to his profile.

Oscarlevin said:
Major software problem causing all this.

When I took delivery of my new 2020 i3S, I kept losing my radio station presets (FM and Satellite), HVAC would not stay to the previous settings, my mirrors would not stay, and all my settings for daytime running lights, door openings, safety systems....basically anything and everything you can customized via iDrive would go away each time I got into the car. SO frustrating.

BUT...there is an easy fix. It is not a major software problem. It took me a week, lots of reading the manual and watching youtube videos (even about non i3 models).

First, set your profile to GUEST via iDrive. Only have 1 key fob with you. Once you set your profile to GUEST, go ahead and set all your radio presets, car configuration settings...alarm, doors, safety systems, sound system tunings....everything you want to personalize!

Now, get out of the car and lock it with the keyfob, actually push the button on the fob, not the comfort access on the door handle.

VOILA...it will all be saved. It took me a very annoying week to learn this. I picked up my 2020 i3S (no difference from your 2021) almost 5 months ago....and not a preset lost or setting changed!!

Deutsch100 said:
First, set your profile to GUEST via iDrive. Only have 1 key fob with you. Once you set your profile to GUEST, go ahead and set all your radio presets, car configuration settings...alarm, doors, safety systems, sound system tunings....everything you want to personalize!

Now, get out of the car and lock it with the keyfob, actually push the button on the fob, not the comfort access on the door handle.
I believe that the Guest profile is intended to be used by guest drivers who don't normally have a fob that's assigned to a profile. The profile assigned to the fob that the guest driver is using won't be used when the Guest profile has been selected in iDrive. After doing what you've done, is the Guest profile always active when you drive or must you always select the Guest profile before you drive?

alohart said:
Deutsch100 said:

I believe that the Guest profile is intended to be used by guest drivers who don't normally have a fob that's assigned to a profile. The profile assigned to the fob that the guest driver is using won't be used when the Guest profile has been selected in iDrive. After doing what you've done, is the Guest profile always active when you drive or must you always select the Guest profile before you drive?

Guest profile is ACTIVE every time I use my i3. Nothing comes up that says Guest...I just have everything I want that I set working and has been 0 issue or glitch. I bought my i3S in Sept of 2020 and everything I set and stored is still there using the procedure I did.

Deutsch100 said:
Guest profile is ACTIVE every time I use my i3. Nothing comes up that says Guest...I just have everything I want that I set working and has been 0 issue or glitch. I bought my i3S in Sept of 2020 and everything I set and stored is still there using the procedure I did.
Seems like a reasonable strategy if only one person every drives an i3 or if every driver has the same preselect preferences, mirror adjustments, etc. I suspect that this isn't a common situation, so using a customized driver profile associated with each fob would be better.

Odd things can occur when one doesn't always use the same fob when driving and when one hasn't chosen the Guest profile in iDrive.

alohart said:
Deutsch100 said:
Seems like a reasonable strategy if only one person every drives an i3 or if every driver has the same preselect preferences, mirror adjustments, etc. I suspect that this isn't a common situation, so using a customized driver profile associated with each fob would be better.

Odd things can occur when one doesn't always use the same fob when driving and when one hasn't chosen the Guest profile in iDrive.

YES. Different key fobs can be a mess, and this is not just applicable to BMW. Jaguar and Land Rover is also very key dependent! I really do miss real car KEYS!!! In the 80's and 90's BMW and Mercedes had seat and mirror memory (and even steering column on higher end models)...but the key was just a key!!!

Back