Delphi Charger Blinking Red Only on "Charging Fault"

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levilheaded

Basically the title. When plugged into an outlet (not in the car yet) the 'charging fault' lights up red and goes out. When also plugged into the car, it blinks red only.
I've brought in my charger to my house and tried it on 5 different outlets-- all with the same outcome.
I was able to successfully charge my car at a fast EV charging outlet with no hiccups. I messaged my BMW dealership and they told me the problem was a bad outlet -- which I don't believe is the case.

Prior info that may be applicable to the problem:
1. A few days prior to the problem, I had used an extension cord to assist with charging.
2. The passenger side mirror was hit a day before I noticed the charger wasn't working, and the mirror now makes a weird sound upon start-up and turning it off (not sure if this has any connection to the charger, but I'm just grabbing at straws here).

Debating on whether I should just buy a new charger and hope for the best or try and get it taken care of at the dealership.

I'm not clear -- was this unit working correctly and then stopped working? Or is this the first time you're using it?

It's possible to have whole-house bad wiring. I had new service connected to the house about 10 years ago. I was getting peculiar behavior with seemingly random blown circuits. One day I had a guy over working on my garage and whenever he used his power saw, my microwave breaker tripped. He had an electrician over, who identified that my neutral connector at the service entrance has separated. This problem although generally unnoticed day to day would have almost certainly resulted in a fault condition on my EVSE.

I'd suggest plugging your EVSE in to another receptacle at a neighbor's house or at work just to verify.

Yes it had been working for about 5 months prior.

I live in an apartment complex and have a small garage. I've tried to plug it into my apartment outlets as well (different building) with the same failure.

It won’t be much help but I bought a ‘defective’ charger from eBay with the same symptom. I wanted one I cou.d take apart. After opening it, unplugging everything, and putting it back together a few times, THE FAULT WENT AWAY. It just powered up normally.

To open it up I needed a “Security Star Torx” bit. It’s like a Security Torx bit but with five lobes instead of six. I got a set from Amazon for a few dollars.

Back