Trustyct

It’s a cash cow the bad tire scam

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:13 am

BMW has a monopoly with Bridgestone to sell us bad tires that fall apart in less than 10K miles. Funny how they don’t even allow paying extra for warranty. My dealer said it’s a huge $$$ maker. I’m filing a class action on this scam. Why didn’t they tell us BEFORE selling us the cars that there was a “non compete” and stuck with garbage tires exclusively by 1 brand s as need new tires every 6 month?

alohart

Re: It’s a cash cow the bad tire scam

Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:23 am

I have read that i3 summer or all-season tires by other manufacturers are available in some markets which invalidates your claim that BMW prevents tire competition, so your class action suit could be crushed by BMW assuming that any lawyer would file your suit.

Buying tires at a BMW dealer would almost certainly be more expensive than buying them elsewhere.

Also, most of us drive significantly farther than 10k miles on our Bridgestone tires, so you should be able to do something to increase the life of your tires.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

gt1

Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:26 pm

A local dealer quoted me almost exactly twice as much as Costco. I agree that the thread life is miserable, but the prices are reasonable.

MKH
Gold Member

Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:11 am

Tirerack is also a great source for i3 tires. Similar prices to Costco, and free overnight shipping to most places in the USA. The even have mobile installers in many cities, who come to you with a fully equipped tire-shop-in-a-van and will install them in your driveway (as a bargain rate compared to other shops).

And a little searching will pull up other owners who have opted for totally different tires, using spacers etc. for a good fender fit.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch Rial X10-i wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

Obioban

Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:23 am

Continental tires also exist.

MKH
Gold Member

Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:50 am

Continental tires also exist.
The Continental Eco Contact 6 tires are not sold in the USA unfortunately.
Mark H.
2015 i3 Rex, Capparis White, Tera World, Technology & Driving Assistant, Parking Assistant, Harman Kardon Audio System, 19 inch Rial X10-i wheels, EVoInnovate EVSE

KrisM

Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:38 am

There are other brands that makes tires compatible with the R19 rims in 155 and 175 if we don't want the Bridgestone Ecopia

Michelin e-Primacy
Continental Eco Contact
Nankang Econex
Tourador I Power
Pirelli Cinturato
Goodyear Ultra grip

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”