Charging issue

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arian2324

Can someone please help me also, I have a issue that when I’m charging the vehicle the light is green and when I unplug the charger and start the car it says charging malfunction, I just replaced the small battery Too
There is no check engine light or any thing but car show no range and vehicle won’t move but the shifter works

Green indicates 100% full, charging stopped. Does the green light come on at the start of charging, or do you see blue?

What do the LEDs on your EVSE indicate.

When you say you just replaced the small battery, are you referring to the 12 volt battery? If so, was everything working properly prior to replacing this battery?

I'm assuming you're charging L2 or L1, not DC fast charging.

At the start of charging i see green, and I just replaced the 12 v battery because it got very weak. Honest I don’t know anything about this car and I’m trying to help my cousin to avoid spending money in dealership I’m charging the car with normal charger and garage outlet.

Ok so the car powers on, but displays 0 miles range? Does it display a state of charge (0%? 100%?).

How long ago did you replace the 12 volt battery? How many times have you tried to charge it? How long are you leaving the charger connected to the car? Is the Charger Error coming up right away, or only after you unplug the charger?

Ok it shows in orange font that : Range - - -
And I replaced the battery this morning, After I plug in the cable , the light immediately turn green and after couple minutes turns off , charging malfunction with red font will come up after I unplug the charger.

Ok, here's what I would do if it was me.

First, check the voltage of the new 12 volt battery. There have been a lot of users who have installed new 12 volt batteries only to find they are discharged. It should be measuring at least 12.5 volts, at minimum. I don't recall the i3's voltage cut-off, but there's a floor where the car just won't boot up.

Second, after that addressing that, plug the charger in and leave it in.

Third, let the car sit. Seems about half the i3 owners here get some fault codes after changing the 12 volt battery, but times cures all. Or connecting a scanner to the OBD port to clear the codes. But the other half swap in the new 12 volt battery and all is well. No rhyme or reason as far as I can tell.

But really I bet you have a discharged battery since you're not getting check engine lights and the driver display seems wonky. Start with that first.

I can’t even scan the obd because switch won’t stay on if you know what I mean. , this battery that I replaced was from remy, prior to changing the battery the car was completely dead. But I’ll check the battery again

So car was dead before as in zero charge, you replaced 12v battery, but car won't accept charge now?

I could be barking up the wrong tree, but worth a shout. Read this: https://www.mybmwi3.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17186

Post up some pictures, video, etc.

Back