Mystery Steering Noise

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 8033

Do any of you experience any noise, real or imagined, in the steering at low speeds when making turns?

I swear it sounds like there is some sort of low grade knocking noise in my 2020 i3. Haven't noticed it so far in my 2021.

I did some Google searches on it and all I came up with is one guy's YouTube video, where he claimed the hydraulic steering lines were hitting the under-body. I'm guessing from the increased pressure when the wheel is turned.

Thoughts?

2020i3 said:
I did some Google searches on it and all I came up with is one guy's YouTube video, where he claimed the hydraulic steering lines were hitting the under-body. I'm guessing from the increased pressure when the wheel is turned.
The i3 has no hydraulic steering lines because it doesn't have hydraulic power steering; its steering is assisted by an electric motor.

Is it like a popping noise that could be the springs in the strut? Kinds sounds like when a rock gets kicked out from under the tire at full lock? My car is in front of the BMW parts cannon for a noise like I'm describing right now. This time (4th attempt) they are doing the upper strut bearings. Which I have seen on here a few times and recommended from the start. Hopefully this fixes it.

It's just a light knocking noise when turning at low speeds. Could be something in the rack and pinion?

A neighbor backed into it right after I got it and the front bumper had to be changed, but I can't imagine that causing any such problem. Boy was that an effing nightmare, took BMW almost 30-days to get the new bumper from Germany.

I'm in my senior years. Not much interest in poking around under the hood anymore, and zero interest in getting underneath a car these days. Gonna work itself out soon though, I'm getting rid of this 2020 and just keeping the 2021.

On a 2020 model it will still be under warranty.

Not completely unheard of for a coil spring to shear and lose an inch or so, so it twangs and knocks. Upper mounts are well documented, but I doubt they would need replaced yet. Water, road salt and grit gets thrown up in the wheel well and the steel lower bearing race will shear as the alloy reacts to oxide corrosion.

Only other thing under there is ARB links. Again, I doubt they are shot yet.

Get the main dealer to inspect.

I think there is a TSB out for this. It happens in cooler weather apparently.

I did notice an unusual sound coming from my steering the other day while backing up into my garage. It sounded like a creaking sound coming from the front or steering. It was odd. I've had 3 i3's...this being my 4th...never heard that.

Interestingly on a tangent, my 2018 i3s doesn't make anywhere the same amount of external fan noise as does my 2019 i3s when the A/C is initially turned on. Very strange. I didn't think they'd have updated the A/C system between '18 and '19+ years but perhaps they did.

I got rid of my 2020 REX i3 today, steering problem is the problem of someone else now. Started driving my 2021 BEV i3 this evening. So far, haven't noticed that same kind of noise in this car.

Can't be a cold weather issue in my case, I live in the blazing hot Nevada desert. Probably the lowest temp we've had in months was like one morning in the high 70s. Rarely rains here too, so nothing to do with moisture either.

Back