i3 won’t charge using L1 chargers but will with L2 Chargers

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BritneySteers

Hi!
I got my i3 a couple months back and I started charging it with the oem 120 volt L1 charger that came with the car and it worked fine for a couple months then all the sudden it stopped working. Luckily I had a 240 volt L2 charger that works and is how I’m currently charging the car.

I originally thought it was a broken charger/outlet but the outlet is fine and a got a new L1 charger and it still doesn’t charge. The indicator light on the charger says it’s charging but the port leds stay white and when I check the app it says charging stopped. Any ideas of how I can fix this?

Have you tried plugging the new L1 into a different receptacle?

It's safe to say you've eliminated the EVSE as the culprit.

The EVSE indicating it's charging means there's probably no house wiring issue, otherwise it would indicate a fault.

It's charging at L2, so I don't believe timed charging is causing this.

I'm even tempted to rule out the car's inverter, because if the L1 leg was dead, I doubt L2 would work. Does it seem to be charging at the expected speed at L2, or is it slow?

Really, I think you've ruled out everything external, leaving a problem with the car. But that's my last best guess.

It’s seems to be charging at standard L2 speeds and I just took it into the shop to get fixed and they weren’t able to find the issue and they just updated the software

They said it did but it didn’t originally charge at theirs and they say they don’t know what made it charge all the sudden the dealer just told it was working then and I brought it home to charge and it no longer worked

Had the same issue with my 2017 i3 rex recently. Haven't taken it to the shop yet. I thought updsting the software will solve it.

Back