BMW i3 drivetrain stop carefully

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cemelli

Hi,

1.5 year ago while driving I get the drivetrain error and couldn't move the car anymore...

Since it was under warranty (just 4 years old) i took the car to BMW service hoping all will be sorted out thru the warranty, after diagnostic was done BMW service came back with 3 quotations for repairs as follows
1. safety box which was with labor around - 1000$
2. Safety box + motor and bunch other things - 8000$
3. All mentioned before + battery - 28000$
Of course, BMW didn't want to cover this with a warranty...and to me, it looks very unprofessionally to get 3 quotations where it is the proof that they don't know what is actually with the car...
after all my appeals were rejected i took it as it is and move fwd and tried to repair car by myself...
First what I have done was change the safety box which I have found on eBay for 200$ but was unsuccessful since fuse inside get off when trying to start the car again...ok lesson learned... again I bought a safety box but this time we checked the battery before trying and all found ok..but again when we connect a battery to the system and again same... seems like there is some issue further in the system, now is it drivetrain or something else dont know...only know that I am stuck for more than 1.5 year...
Now I do need your advice because nowhere on forum I have come across of a similar issue or I have missed it...
FYI in car all works mean charging, infotainment etc... but it doesn't move :(
Please helpppppp

Are you sure the high voltage battery is still charging normally? I don't understand how that would be possible if the big fuse in the safety box is blown. That should separate the HV battery from the rest of the car. It makes sense to me that the battery side of the safety box checked out fine. More likely that the load that blows that fuse is on the EME side of the safety box.

Hi Joff, first thing when we replace fuse in safety box we tried to charge battery and was working however after some time again fuse blowed...

You need to get yourself a copy of ISTA+ software, effectively dealer level diagnostics. Not unusual for these cars to have corrosion in high voltage cables, especially at connection ends. Also the EME (electric motor electronics).
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2019-bmw-i3-i8-recall-eme-module/

Now I'm not saying that's the cause, but whatever you do, you need feedback on state of the battery, errors codes, especially if it's working then fails.

Check out some of Shaun Dobbie's i3 videos on YouTube. You might even be able to message him in chat for advice.
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCocJ2fsj_3kc1QEfOIpPi0g

Back