Auto wiper sensitivity

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BMW4Me

I almost always use the front wipers in auto mode: pressing the side button and having the green light on the stalk illuminated. I also have the sensitivity setting at the maximum (highest) position. However, I find that it takes quite a bit of rain to trigger the wiper to start, which kind of defeats the purpose in using the most sensitive setting. I've also noticed that in this and previous BMWs I pretty much always use only the most sensitive position as the lower ones typically do not engage the wipers quickly enough.

A second observation is that in steady/strong rain, whereas I would usually just keep the wipers in auto mode, I'm forced to switch to manual mode for effective clearing of rain. Does the windshield need to be cleaned especially well in the area where sensor is to increase sensitivity? I'm curious what others have found on the i3 and also compared to prior BMWs.

I certainly can't speak with authority here since I've driven in only one minor rain since I took delivery in May. (May to October is SF's dry season for those unfamiliar with our quirky weather.) That said, I haven't noticed any significant difference compared to my E90. The i3 had no issues with the foggy mist that we get a lot of during summer months. I don't use the most sensitive setting; one or two down I believe. I've also owned two VWs with rain-sensing wipers. Very similar performance. Wouldn't surprise me to find out the systems all come from the same supplier.

I agree with BMW4Me, the auto wiping, even on the most sensitive position, is too unresponsive to rain on the wind shield. I mostly have to switch to manual. Why is BMW neglecting these basic details contributing enormously to safe driving?

I had a similar experience in misting rain here in LA. It seemed to take longer than I would like to make that first sweep, then after it started, it wiped a few times just right and reverted back to taking too long again, restarting the cycle. I have had similar issues with other rain sensing wipers so it is not just BMW.

Yeah, it's a bit crap, really. I'm used to never having to use the manual settings but with the i3 you end up peering through a sheet of water if you try that.

Is this a BMW thing? It seems manufacturers have their own particular useless function that they perpetuate iteration after iteration despite everyone complaining. With Fiats it's non-cancelling indicators on a left turn. They've always been like that.

Boatguy said:
No big rain in California yet, but with the light rain, the wipers were very active.
I find them more responsive to fine rain (still not responsive enough though) but once it rains harder, i.e. larger water droplets, the auto wipe function is almost useless. I have a 330Ci that is much better and a Mk4 Golf GTi that is better than both.

Agreed on the points made here. I'll also throw in that I find they are quite inconsistent. Sometimes on the auto setting the wipers will freak out when there is virtually no rain (fine or big) and wipe 5-10 times at the highest speed possible. Counter that with it sometimes won't clear what is an almost-completely blocked view. I have never had a car with auto-wipers before; being my first experience with them, I'm not that impressed and have chalked it up to technology that is well-intended and needs to be improved. I have a feeling someone with a Lexus or Mercedes background will chime in and say those implementations are omgperfect.

Back