Low Frequency Rumbling Sound When Driving & Window Open

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovethei3

Is anybody else experiencing a low frequency rumbling sound with driving at highway speeds with the window open? The frequency of this noise is similar to a rumbling bass sound, but it is actually so painful to the ears, it needs to be stopped, and the only way to stop it is to roll up the window most of the way.

It seems to be some sort of buffeting by the wind traveling through the car.

I'm wondering if this is just unique to me, so that perhaps there's a way for it to be repaired, or is this normal and happening to everybody?

It seems like a design flaw -- or perhaps something is loose or maybe there's a way to secure something or redirect the flow of air through the car.

I used to own a convertible, so at minimum I want to drive with the windows open - it's frustrating to have to close the windows to spare my ears from this PAINFUL notice. If it's happen to you, you'll know it so chime in!

Same here. It is a resonance set up by the wind moving past the open windows. Most cars can produce it, but can be avoided by cracking the rear windows. Since the i3 rear windows are static, we're stuck with the resonance.

Eventually, someone will sell a wind deflector for the leading edge of the front windows which may reduce or eliminate the phenomenon. I searched for them yesterday, but couldn't find one for the i3.

I know this won't help you, but BMW has said that above 30mph, running the car with the windows up and the a/c on is more efficient than with them open and the a/c off because of the increased drag they cause. IOW, IMHO, at speeds where that resonance would be an issue, they didn't appear to be concerned much because they thought people would choose the more efficient mode.

You're not unique in this respect as just about every car I've ever owned did this and I've owned a lot of cars. I have learned from my experience anyway, that the more streamlined the car is, the worst the low-frequency buffeting sound will be. My recent Buick Enclave was the worst in that respect, although an excellent rig in every other way. And increasing the size of the hole definitely helps, and solves the problem on some cars, (as in opening the rear window) but impossible on some new cars. My dogs are pretty bummed about that :cry: .

I have found that if you can get a dog to stick its head out an open window it will break up the resonance...... Probably the same with i3 windows.

Every car I've had does this. It's effectively the same as blowing across the top of a bottle and getting the sound of a ship leaving port. Toooooot. Except the frequency that a car resonates at is usually subsonic and will give you a head ache pretty quickly. Opening another window breaks the seal of the "bottle" and stops the resonance.

My current Nissan Juke is the first car I've had where it doesn't work if two windows are open symetrically, you need to open a front and a rear to stop the resonance. Not sure what's going on there!

A lot of sunroofs do the same thing, so they have the tilt facility or a pop up wind deflector that breaks the air stream. If you want to stop it happening, stick something that might break up the airstream along the leading edge of the window. Say a bunch of mini wind turbines that can also power the battery LOL.

Back