USB port - Problem with my phone

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montoyacesar

Ever since I got my car a few days ago..

I use my original apple usb cable (lightning) and when I plug in my phone, it connects/disconnects repeatedly without making a connection.

In some rare circumstances it stops and plugs in normally (my phone shows charging)
I've tried another iphone 6, and a different cable with the same results.

Any idea? Anyone having the same issue?

I experienced the same problem but with an aftermarket cable. I changed it to the original Apple one and everything is working fine. Try swapping cable and check if it's having still the same behaviour.

Also check if there is any crud in the connector on your phone, I have had it a couple of times where fluff in the connector is stopping good contact being made.

I have the same problem, switching to a new cable solves the problem. But the problem re-occurs again after a few months....
The cable usually works in other devices which links the issue to the car (my opinion).

Have been driving i3 since 2015 and had three i3s. It's the same issue in all three cars.
Annoying to have to switch cable 3-4 times a year.'

BMW please get into 2020 regarding infrastructure of modern cars.

Hello tobiassej –

Having owned an i3 since 2014 and having had no connection issues with the USB connector under the armrest, I always suspect the Lightning connector – it's been the primary source of my connection issues.

Before tossing your next Lightning cable, try cleaning the Lightning contacts with a proper contact cleaning solution.

Here's just one for an example:
https://www.chemtronics.com/ultimate-guide-to-contact-cleaners

FWIW, the contacts on a USB port are actually pretty small. SOme devices can draw a fair amount of current. That can heat up the spring contacts, and eventually, they'll lose their tension, leading to a poor connection.

Back