cryptic message from BMW connected drive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasleinstein

Yet another cryptic message from BMW in my email:

""Dear BMW ConnectedDrive Customer,

Please check the vehicle charge status when your vehicle V28xxx has been left parked for longer periods.

Best regards,

BMW ConnectedDrive ""

Does anyone have an idea what these folks are wanting to communicate? Check for what? How long is a "longer period"?

I think it means that you have left your car for a longer period (2-5 days?) with a charge of less than 50% (or so?). The advice is to "store" the i3 with around 70% charge for best battery health.

Batteries can be damaged in cold weather when not charged...more so conventional lead-acid, but it can affect LiOn ones too. Then, even within a battery type, they are not all the same. BMW knows their battery, so it is probably a good idea to manage it as they suggest. When you don't charge the main high-voltage batteries, the 12vdc battery doesnt' get charged, either, and that one is definitely more affected by cold weather. It must be viable, since it runs all of the electronics, or you could be stuck with power in the high voltage system, and can't turn it on because the computers won't run. Only way around that is to plug the car in so that battery will be charged in the process of topping off the main ones.

thanks folks. This i3 is plugged in every day. It has not gone 48 hours without charge from the day we bought it. Much like the KDE cryptic messages, I wonder what failure BMW is trying to cover up now.

I got the same email message last month. In my case, it is caused by the communication between the car and BMW Server not working. I found this out because my iRemote in both iPhone and Android not getting latest status from the car, i.e. keep showing the old miles driven and the state of charge from the last working communication. I could not send any remote command to the car either.

I did not do the trick of removing a fuse for control unit to reset (restart) its computer. Instead I brought it to the dealer since I am close to one. They fixed the broken communication (did not tell me what and how), and at the same time, replace the KLE from the service bulletin. Took 2 days. I did call BMW-Genius before I contacted the dealer, they tried a couple things with me but no result and they suggest me to bring it to the dealer.

Twice now since JUne 2014, I've had mine 'lock up'. THe first time, the dealer unplugged the telecommunication module. This last time, I removed the fuse (easier and quicker). In both situations, after doing all of the prescribed, reload the app, have them reset the account, send update to server, etc., it did not work, but a power recycle did. Once you figure it out, dropping the fuse panel down is all of about a 90-second endeavor. It took the car a couple of minutes before the data communications was restored, but it's worked in both instances. I'd guess to replace the KLE, they disconnect all of the batteries, so functionally, that ended up doing the same thing.

Back