i3 Replacement Remote

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roverrob

Hello. I purchased my i3 used from a BMW dealer in NJ. It only came with one remote. The dealer ordered a second remote and shipped it to me. The new remote was ordered from BMW based on my car's VIN. When I tried to use it, it didn't work. I asked the salesman if it needs to be programmed or if I have to take it to a dealer, but he didn't know. Does anyone know the answer? Thanks in advance.

The new remote has to be 'registered' in the car. With some of BMW's models, you can do this yourself...on others, it must be done at the dealer's (especially if it has comfort access). The procedure differs. I do not know on the i3. The process requires having at least one good working remote to allow the procedure to start...otherwise, you have to replace the computer as well - big bucks! You need that working one to unlock the computer to allow the new one to be added to the list.

New key remote buttons should work without any programming. You can only have 2 active keys with comfort access. The only reason besides being a bad key from the factory (happens more often then you think) is that when the car was checked to be resold the tech deactivated all other keys. Either way a trip to the dealer is going to be required

Try this...won't hurt, might work.

Have both the working and the new fob in the car. Take the new one, place it against the steering column where the key symbol is on it and try hitting the start button while holding the brake pedal. That's the place where you place the fob if the fob's battery is dead (it's in the manual).

Let us know if that works. It does on some BMW models.

Thanks for all of the responses. I really appreciate the support. I did try the procedure recommended by jadnashuanh, but it didn't work. I guess I'm going to have to pay a visit to my local dealer. Thanks again.

Just as a FYI. I took my i3 to the dealer and they programmed the new remote in about two minutes. No charge. Thanks for all of your replies.

In case anyone comes across this thread looking for help on how to program in a new i3 key, it CAN be done by yourself without going to the dealer. I have just coded a replacement key using the following process (given to me by my dealer over the phone):

1. Unlock the car with an original key
2. Leave the original key somewhere far away from the car, so that the car does not detect it
3. Place the new key horizontally, pointing to the printed key symbol on the steering column. Note that I found placing the key flat against the steering column did not work - I had to have the top of the key pointing towards the key symbol on the steering column and the key held horizontally.
4. Press and hold the start button (no need to press the brake). It takes a few seconds, but then the message on the speedometer display shows that remote has been found etc.

Hope that helps.

Lucky you. Was charged $500 for a replacement keyfob, then told it'd be an additional $400 to program the key. Thanks BMW of Bellevue.

Smar, thank you for this very helpful advice. I haven't even taken possession of my 2014 REX but I was told it only had one key. I ordered one from eBay for $79 instead of $250 from the dealer. They quoted another $125 to program. So it gives me great hope I can do it myself. Thanks again for this welcome gift to myBMWi3 site!

TedNW said:
Smar, thank you for this very helpful advice. I haven't even taken possession of my 2014 REX but I was told it only had one key. I ordered one from eBay for $79 instead of $250 from the dealer. They quoted another $125 to program. So it gives me great hope I can do it myself. Thanks again for this welcome gift to myBMWi3 site!

all bmw keys from the dealer come pre-programmed to your car all you need to do is cycle the ign with that key one from ebay most likely wont be configured to your car so will have to go to the dealer...

Thanks Busaman. I stopped by the dealership and tried to do it - and it didn't work, as you suspected. I guess I will end up at the dealership!

Busaman,

I am being told by two dealers here in Vancouver that the key cannot be programmed to a different car than it was originally coded to. Another said it can be but they did not know how long it would take to do. And it would not access Comfort Access (I would have to click the unlock.) Do you know the actual truth about this? Thnks in advance.

All BMW keys come pre-programmed for a particular car from the factory. Dealers cannot do anything to program keys, and such a thing like an OEM blank key does not exist on the free market. Once programmed to a car, BMW keys cannot be reprogrammed to another one. The only way is the key to be "reset" and the reprogrammed again. However there is no existing non-BMW tool that could program keys for some late model BMWs, including i3. Simply put, used i3 keys on Ebay are nice souvenirs ;)

This method works. I just got an used 2014 i3 with only one key. So I bought a new key from a BMW dealer. With the new key, I "programmed" it exactly as smar listed in the steps below and it worked!

I believe the profile setting will now also work for each different remote. Will confirm soon.

Thanks smar.

smar said:
In case anyone comes across this thread looking for help on how to program in a new i3 key, it CAN be done by yourself without going to the dealer. I have just coded a replacement key using the following process (given to me by my dealer over the phone):

2. Leave the original key somewhere far away from the car, so that the car does not detect it
3. Place the new key horizontally, pointing to the printed key symbol on the steering column. Note that I found placing the key flat against the steering column did not work - I had to have the top of the key pointing towards the key symbol on the steering column and the key held horizontally.
4. Press and hold the start button (no need to press the brake). It takes a few seconds, but then the message on the speedometer display shows that remote has been found etc.

Hope that helps.

TedNW said:

Ted please let us know if you are successful in pairing a random key from eBay to your car as I was told that the keys ordered from BMW have to be coded to work with your car and that you could not do this. It would help everyone to save big bucks if it were true.

Mito, as Smar and Busaman stated, you cannot program a used key to your i3. Luckily for me the seller on eBay was forced to accept a return for the fob because they advertised it as an i8/i3 key and it was an i8 key. Those keys are clearly worthless except to wave around in bars to attract gold diggers.

I took Smar and Busaman's advice and bought a new one matched to my VIN. (I got it for just over cost from a friend who runs a BMW dealership.) I registered it just now using their advice and it worked without a hitch. Thank you, thank you both.

Caveat emptor for eBay buyers, and shame on BMW dealers who charge extra to "program" the fob. Cheating customers for few extra dollars seems like a good reason for BMW to pull a dealers franchise agreement.......

smar said:

Hope that helps.

I just purchased a 2015 CPO i3 REX which came with only one electronic remote key fob. The dealership just shipped a 2nd one to me, including both the physical 'toothpick' key (which is keyed to my i3's glovebox, etc.) and a corresponding electronic remote fob (into which fits the physical key). While the electronic fob didn't work with my i3 upon arrival, I can confirm the above process worked to key it to my i3.

As noted in Step 3, it is very important that when holding the fob on the right side of the steering column (mine is an i3 made for North American usage) that the fob is held horizontally (buttons facing either up or down works) and most importantly that the edge of the fob closest to the "remote unlock" button abuts the steering column.

MANY THANKS!

this didn't work for me. i bought a fob from keys4less and followed the steps described but i just get the message incorrect key

i bought a fob from keys4less a

Pretty sure you need to order the replacement key directly from BMW through the Dealer, as it has to be coded by BMW specific to your VIN. For security, Dealer's can't even do it, has to be done by the factory.

Back