a bit weird....BEV charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sithsmith23

Having 1st issues with charging after 6 weeks...it's all a bit weird this one, so any answers/guidance would be appreciated?

Normal practice is off peak charging with pre-condition + departure time which varies when I need to charge at home but normally between 7.30 - 8.30 depending on the day.

I get home tonight and have run more or less flat (GOM says 4 miles, Trip is 80m so pretty chuffed with that in not the warmest of few days). So plug in, set off peak charge (00.30am to 6.00am) and departure for 8am.

Now I've read when battery is v.low it will kick in and charge straight away (up to 20%?)...but when I checked Connected Drive it shows charging is active with 40% SOC and 25 miles range. I try to reset from PC & App by playing with departure time/re-engaging off peak charge but nothing happens and still is active charge.

Go down to Car and have play, even switch on/off EVSE but still active charge and is ignoring off peak/departure time.
This is where it gets weird...
A) Blue charge light is not flashing, just permanently on as per 'timer' charging
B) As with immediate charge you get the 'line' going up and down the battery bars..but it's not
C) I have a look at my elec meter to see usage...but nothing is being drawn. Shows as 275.8 KWH and I have checked it over last 10 mins and still showing 275.8 whilst App/Connected Drive shows active charging and my SOC/GOM ever increasing....(now showing 63%/41m)

Am I missing something or is the car having a funny turn?

This is a known issue, what should happen is it clicks off at 20% SOC, but it very rarely does. In order to reset back to "proper" behaviour. Unlock, unplug, lock the car then plug back in and lock, and it will reset and honour your off-peak times.

In my experience you only get into this situation when ~8% SOC when you plug-in. The mothership knows about this, but I don't know if 15-03-501 fixes this.

I always run the battery down to the REX kick in point as my commute is long, so I've got used to the bug of it going and charging all the way when I plug in. My workaround is to set a 30 minute timer on my phone clock, just to remind me to do the next step... use the iRemote to resend the departure time and off peak details from the comfort of the sofa. That stops the charge and makes it wait till 11:30pm when I've said off peak starts.

The bug seems to be it gets carried away once it starts charging because of low SOC. I also get a text message if I leave the car in this state in a public car park with no charging... I'm like yeah - what do you want me to do about that? Buy a 400m extension cable on a reel?

Back