iOS 8.4 and streaming

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrew

Updated my iPhone 6 Plus to iOS 8.4 and am a paying member of Apple Music.

When I listen to Beats1 or other streaming content from Apple Music's Radio on headphones, it works fine. When I connect to the i3 via USB or Bluetooth the phone disconnects and the streaming drops after 2 minutes. All other Apple Music content works fine whether it's streamed or played locally from the iPhone. It's only the Radio-based content that caused the phone to lose connection.

I've tried a hard reset. And, I've tried resetting the network connections. I've deleted and re-paired the phone to the car. And, I've tried restarting. Streaming content from multiple sources worked before in iOS 8.3.

I've seen other reports of similar behavior on different forums. Would love any suggestions you all have.

Are you able to reliably stream Pandora to your i3 from your iPhone? What about music that is stored on your iPhone?

If you can do both of those (which I can), then I suspect the problem may be with Apple Music, not your i3 connection.

I have this issue too. From what I've read it's an iOS bug with BMW and MB cars.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7111640?start=0&tstart=0

In idrive, note your current version of the software, then go to bmw online and put in your VIN, and check what version is current for your car. If necessary, update the entertainment/phone software in the car. Once you have it on a USB drive, it takes usually less than a couple of minutes and, if yours isn't the latest, may solve your problem.

I suspect the problem lies with iOS 8 not iDrive. I ran into so many problems with iOS 8 bluetooth that I gave up attempting to play audio from my iPhone. Dug out a classic iPod and keep it connected via USB instead.

Problems aren't limited to BMW. Other forums are filled with complaints from owners of multiple car brands about the flakiness of iOS 8. At this point the best hope for a fix is probably iOS 9.

It takes all of about 30-seconds to check the s/w version in your car. At least for my VIN, the latest update has the version numbers of:
Software update (MN-2.255.60,
TN-2.255.62)
Software update (MN-2.39.60,
TN-2.39.62)

check here: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/connected_drive_services/mobile_devices/bluetooth_software_update.html

I've streamed podcasts over BT from My iphone almost daily for a month now without issue. I can't remember when 8.4 came out but I installed it the next day. I have the latest BMW multimedia software installed.

I hadn't done any streaming for awhile so I double checked today with an iPhone 6 and iOS 8.4.

No problems. I streamed both the Economist app and Pandora to the i3 via Bluetooth, both worked perfectly, including putting up the "currently playing" information on the screen.

I did update my AV s/w earlier this year, but not recently.

Back