Kevtech

I3 stops charging if I stay in the car

Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:08 am

This weekend I took my I3 Rex on a little road trip. The weather was very inclement & when I went to charge the I3 at a Level 2 charge point I decided to sit in the I3 while it was charging. Once I was in the I3 it stopped charging. If I got out & locked the car charging re-commenced. I left the car charging for a few minutes, opened it & got in again. It stopped charging again. The I3 would only charge if I was not in it. I tried the passenger seat as well but the charging stopped.
After I returned home I plugged into my Level 2 30amp Chargemaster. I left the I3 charging for fifteen minutes. The I returned, opened the car & sat in. The car stopped charging. Once I exited the car & locked it charging resumed.
Is this a safety feature? I have searched the web but I cannot find any info on why the I3 stops charging if someone is in it. Any suggestions or advice on how to charge the I3 while I stay inside. I live in Ireland & we get a lot of rain so if I am on a trip & the weather is bad I would like to stay in the car while it is charging.

TomMoloughney
Site Admin

Re: I3 stops charging if I stay in the car

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:13 am

Kevtech wrote:This weekend I took my I3 Rex on a little road trip. The weather was very inclement & when I went to charge the I3 at a Level 2 charge point I decided to sit in the I3 while it was charging. Once I was in the I3 it stopped charging. If I got out & locked the car charging re-commenced. I left the car charging for a few minutes, opened it & got in again. It stopped charging again. The I3 would only charge if I was not in it. I tried the passenger seat as well but the charging stopped.
After I returned home I plugged into my Level 2 30amp Chargemaster. I left the I3 charging for fifteen minutes. The I returned, opened the car & sat in. The car stopped charging. Once I exited the car & locked it charging resumed.
Is this a safety feature? I have searched the web but I cannot find any info on why the I3 stops charging if someone is in it. Any suggestions or advice on how to charge the I3 while I stay inside. I live in Ireland & we get a lot of rain so if I am on a trip & the weather is bad I would like to stay in the car while it is charging.
I think you may be confused about when the car is charging and when it isn't. How exactly are you monitoring whether the car is charging or not?
Tom Moloughney
MINI-E: (6/09 - 1/12)
BMW ActiveE: (1/12 - 5/14)
BMW i3 REx: (5/14- 6/17)
BMW i3s BEV (1/18- )

My i3 Blog:
http://bmwi3.blogspot.com

Kevtech

Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:54 am

Before I get into the car both the IRemote app & display on charger confirm charging is active. After sitting back into the car IRemote shows car Charging as not active. When I get out of the car level 2 charger display says charging stopped. Lock the car & charging starts again. IRemote confirms this as does level 2 charger.

jadnashuanh

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:08 am

I have not noticed this to be true with the s/w in my vehicle, but I'll check and get back later. I've only done that a couple of times, but did not notice that effect.
Jim DeBruycker
2014 i3 BEV, 2021 X5 45e
(The i3 will be sold soon, <17K-miles, interested?)

ASUN

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:17 am

Can you lock the car with the remote while you are inside?

But you won't have access to the electronics.
- ASUN, 2016 BMW i3 BEV, Arravani Grey, Suite Interior, 20's, since Oct 25, 2015

TomMoloughney
Site Admin

Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:26 am

Kevtech wrote:Before I get into the car both the IRemote app & display on charger confirm charging is active. After sitting back into the car IRemote shows car Charging as not active. When I get out of the car level 2 charger display says charging stopped. Lock the car & charging starts again. IRemote confirms this as does level 2 charger.
Very bizarre. That is definitely not how the car is supposed to work, so if this is correct, then there is a problem with your vehicle. Plenty of people sit in their cars (I have) at public charging stations while the car charges. Bring it to your dealer and show them what it does before you leave. Let us know how you resolve this.
Tom Moloughney
MINI-E: (6/09 - 1/12)
BMW ActiveE: (1/12 - 5/14)
BMW i3 REx: (5/14- 6/17)
BMW i3s BEV (1/18- )

My i3 Blog:
http://bmwi3.blogspot.com

jadnashuanh

Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:38 pm

I double-checked mine after running some errands, and the car continues to charge while in or out of the car, whether the door is locked or not. I did not sit there for long, though, but it should not matter. Now, the status may or may not be accurate as shown on the app. Often, you can hear the power contactor open or close on the EVSE, especially if you open a window. While the lights on the car go out after a short delay, the status on the EVSE generally stays lit continuously while in operation.
Jim DeBruycker
2014 i3 BEV, 2021 X5 45e
(The i3 will be sold soon, <17K-miles, interested?)

Kevtech

Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:16 am

Thanks for taking the time to check the charging while sitting in the car. I'll get in touch with the dealer. If I need to bring the I3 to the workshop I won't be able to do it for about one month but I will report back on the solution.

psquare

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:03 am

I've noticed precisely the same issue with mine and I believe it is connected to the November software update.

Having said that, I have recently been upgraded again (car was at dealer to check out something else - will post the version once I've had a chance) and when using public charging yesterday, I noticed that the car charged again while being unlocked, so this may have been addressed already.

Will keep you updated.

Update: I also noticed that the same did not happen during a CCS charge, when it allowed me to remain in the car with doors unlocked.
Last edited by psquare on Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

PhilH

Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:06 am

I've just checked the behaviour of my UK spec i3 - the US version might be different because of the different connector used there.

If get get out of the car, leave it unlocked and plug it in, it starts charging. If I lock it, it continues charging. If I unlock it, it stops charging. Lock: start. Unlock: stop. So I think you either need to do no locking of the car, simply plug it in, or lock it while you're sitting in it.
i3 Capparis White; Winter package; Sunroof; LED lights; Ordered 30 May 2014; Delivered 17 October 2014.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”