Going down an icy, slippery hill

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ASUN

We had a dump of snow here last Friday, I took a wrong turn going to work and ended up on an icy, slippery downhill during rush hour traffic. I managed to go down/sliding halfway. Ended up losing control, spinning out and coming to a stop after hitting the curb head-on. I was lucky I didn't hit any of the cars parked on the side. A little dent on the left front wheel, that was it.

I would like to get more advice as to how you all manage the regen braking vs normal braking in such a situation.

If I want to press on the brake pedal it requires me to release my foot completely from the gas pedal, then hard regen braking will kick in causing the car to slide on the ice. It's actually very dangerous.

Is there a way I can turn regen braking off?

Can I put the car from D to N without pressing on the brake pedal? I suspect putting the car in N will turn regen braking off? Perhaps I can put the car in N before going down a hill?

Do you all use two foot driving in this situation?

Thanks.

Hi Asun,
Glad to hear you escaped with with only a dent to the rim. I've seen enough videos online of slippery conditions with huge pile ups to know how bad I can end.
In my experience the regen is disabled when the vehicle detects wheel slip, so while this could potentially cause the rear wheels to lose traction it will only be a very short instant.
My advice would be to let go of the gas pedal and gently apply the brake, should the front wheels start to slip let go off the brake and gently turn the steering wheel to "catch" the traction again.

I've been down Oak Street in Vanvouver several times. Having a set of winter tires helps. I've had mine since the week before the 1st dump of snow last December.

At first, I balked at the price. But now, in hindsight, getting the winter tire set was the right choice.

Both regen and the brakes can detect when wheels slip. Do not let up on the brakes...mash it as hard as you can if you need to slow down and let the anti-lock braking do its job. The difference in stopping distance on ice is radically different depending on the tires you have. The 20" tires are all summer rubber, and are terrible when it's cold and slippery. The 19" all-seasons are better, but there's nothing like a quality winter tire when the conditions get dicey.

Maybe BMW isn't as attuned to all-seasons in the winter because in some places in Europe, winter tires are required. Some provinces in Canada require them, too. I think the US is leaning towards that in snowy areas, but maybe not with the current administration

FWIW, if I have my i3 when my current Bridgestones wear out, I'll probably go with the Nokian winter tire to see how that works out in comparison. I got my tire/wheel package as a deal when I bought my car, so I didn't price shop any.

ASUN said:
. . .
Is there a way I can turn regen braking off?

Can I put the car from D to N without pressing on the brake pedal? I suspect putting the car in N will turn regen braking off? Perhaps I can put the car in N before going down a hill?
. . . .
You can reduce the regen strength a tiny amount by using the 'ECO' style but it is all but insignificant.

As for going between "D" and "N", I do it daily. My neighborhood has flat sections and a few gentle down slopes. So I just shift to "N" to coast and back to "D" to stop or accelerate. If you grew up with manual transmissions, easy. If not, it takes a lot of practice to feel comfortable with it.

Bob Wilson

So far (fingers crossed), feathering the accelerator has worked for me in managing regen. But I do wish we have a way to cycle the regen levels just like the D to B shifter for the Leaf, or paddle shifters for the Outlander Hybrid and the Bolt.

The place where I live has a long stretch with at least a 30% grade. I'm able to feather the throttle so that the i3 maintains a constant speed going downhill - while everyone else's brake lights lit up. The occasional bump does mess up the regen - it disengages. When that happens, I have to find the sweet spot again.

cdnji said:
So far (fingers crossed), feathering the accelerator has worked for me in managing regen. But I do wish we have a way to cycle the regen levels just like the D to B shifter for the Leaf, or paddle shifters for the Outlander Hybrid and the Bolt.

The place where I live has a long stretch with at least a 30% grade. I'm able to feather the throttle so that the i3 maintains a constant speed going downhill - while everyone else's brake lights lit up. The occasional bump does mess up the regen - it disengages. When that happens, I have to find the sweet spot again.

By the time winter and the snow is over, you will be at master level. :D

Drive safe.

Gaining experience in these conditions really is key. I drive down a long street with a significant grade every day. This winter it has been very icy for lengthy periods of time. I find, as well, that the regen disengages when it detects slippage. I am usually going slow during those times, so I simply use the break as one normally would in those situations. Most times I am able to stop without ABS kicking in, but sometimes it does, and I have been able to stop. I've gained a lot of experience this winter, and don't have an issue with the i3's response. It just takes practice and an understanding of what's happening. With any luck, we're through the worst part of this winter!

Back