ZeroEmissionz

Re: i3 Accident Collision :(

Sun May 14, 2017 8:55 pm

what you both have described is exactly the case, do you guys work for BMW by any chance?

Called BMW Sydney $650 plus taxes ! I think I'm gonna by pass it

alohart

Mon May 15, 2017 12:46 am

ZeroEmissionz wrote:what you both have described is exactly the case, do you guys work for BMW by any chance?
No, but I play a BMW employee on TV.
ZeroEmissionz wrote:Called BMW Sydney $650 plus taxes ! I think I'm gonna by pass it
For what was BMW Sydney quoting $650 plus tax? If it was for the replacement of a safety device, you really can't avoid doing that if it has tripped. I would think that the safety device on the 12V battery would be relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. The safety device in the battery pack case, not so much due to the labor involved.

After the collision damage has been repaired, try to drive your car. If serious error messages are displayed and it won't drive, then a safety device has likely tripped. Hopefully, it's just the one on the positive terminal of the 12V battery and not the one inside the battery pack case.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

ZeroEmissionz

Mon May 15, 2017 5:54 am

sorry my bad $650 plus for the battery lead on the 12V, doing a quick google came up with youtube videos , its a matter of making contact between the separation point which looks like a very easy and free fix, yes it is part of the safety system of the car, but if what your saying is right and there is also a automatic switch at the HV battery then why would you need two? my understanding of the safety aspect of it is to prevent spark in case of fuel leak i really dunno what the chances of that happening are ? after all it is a electric car so fuel is minimal and maybe something that would later not be even utilised by these vehicles (a risk I'm willing to take) to get this car going. Ive never driven the car and bought it damaged to repair it.

Are you sure there is a switch at the HV that also works on pryotechnics ? (explosion) if so that is going to be a very expensive and tedious task to do myself or even take in to BMW, if I take the car in to BMW in its state they will void all the warranty left which is about 2 more years or 100,000kms currently the vehicle only has 17,000kms so there is still a lot of warranty I could utilise and dont wanna void.

as soon as i figure out how to post pics i will put some up of the progress /repairs etc

Bawareca

Mon May 15, 2017 6:54 am

alohart wrote: For what was BMW Sydney quoting $650 plus tax? If it was for the replacement of a safety device, you really can't avoid doing that if it has tripped. I would think that the safety device on the 12V battery would be relatively inexpensive and easy to replace. The safety device in the battery pack case, not so much due to the labor involved.
There is no safety device on the HV battery. Read my post carefully. Once the 12v battery positive lead is replaced and all fuses checked the HV will be back online.
ZeroEmissionz wrote:sorry my bad $650 plus for the battery lead on the 12V, doing a quick google came up with youtube videos , its a matter of making contact between the separation point which looks like a very easy and free fix, yes it is part of the safety system of the car, but if what your saying is right and there is also a automatic switch at the HV battery then why would you need two? my understanding of the safety aspect of it is to prevent spark in case of fuel leak i really dunno what the chances of that happening are ? after all it is a electric car so fuel is minimal and maybe something that would later not be even utilised by these vehicles (a risk I'm willing to take) to get this car going. Ive never driven the car and bought it damaged to repair it.

Are you sure there is a switch at the HV that also works on pryotechnics ? (explosion) if so that is going to be a very expensive and tedious task to do myself or even take in to BMW, if I take the car in to BMW in its state they will void all the warranty left which is about 2 more years or 100,000kms currently the vehicle only has 17,000kms so there is still a lot of warranty I could utilise and dont wanna void.

as soon as i figure out how to post pics i will put some up of the progress /repairs etc
In the past I have "repaired" SBT. Just remove the plastic housing of the positive battery lead and hammer back the lug that has been pushed out by the pyrofuse. If you want to turn off your SRS light you need to connect 3ohm resistor to the small connector that was connected to the SBT.

alohart

Mon May 15, 2017 12:50 pm

Bawareca wrote:There is no safety device on the HV battery. Read my post carefully. Once the 12v battery positive lead is replaced and all fuses checked the HV will be back online..
I have read several reports of i3's involved in accidents that required that the battery pack case be dropped after an accident that resulted in airbags being deployed. Was that just BMW's requirement to check that the battery pack had not been damaged or did some safety switch have to be replaced? There is a "safety box" in the battery pack case that contains the high-voltage contactors, but maybe these contactors aren't disabled directly when the airbags deploy.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Bawareca

Tue May 16, 2017 7:48 am

alohart wrote: I have read several reports of i3's involved in accidents that required that the battery pack case be dropped after an accident that resulted in airbags being deployed. Was that just BMW's requirement to check that the battery pack had not been damaged or did some safety switch have to be replaced? There is a "safety box" in the battery pack case that contains the high-voltage contactors, but maybe these contactors aren't disabled directly when the airbags deploy.
The contactors in the battery pack ( I incorrectly wrote they are in the EME) are normally opened contactors. They will close (connect the battery to the high voltage system) when 12v is send to them(probably solenoid activated). The 12v signal goes from the positive 12v battery terminal, the orange service disconnect and 5A fuse in the front fuse box. If the SBT has been blown, service disconnect opened, or the fuse blown, 12V will not reach the contactors and the battery will stay disconnected.
I guess that dropping the HV battery after accident would be just for inspection.

ZeroEmissionz

Tue May 16, 2017 5:28 pm

If you could please specify the location of the fuses (and which number if possible) I would like to check these out if they not blown. Cant wait to get this baby up and running heard so many good things, and some bad hmmm

Thank you in advance

jadnashuanh

Tue May 16, 2017 10:55 pm

The owner's manual shows the position of the i3's fuse panel...it's on the bottom of the dash on the passenger's side of the car (at least on the left-hand drive version in the USA), and you remove a couple of quarter-turn anchors to drop it down. I do not know if there are any other, auxiliary fuse locations in the car, but there's a bunch of them there.
Jim DeBruycker
2011 535i x-drive GT, 2014 i3 BEV

Bawareca

Wed May 17, 2017 8:42 am

jadnashuanh wrote:The owner's manual shows the position of the i3's fuse panel...it's on the bottom of the dash on the passenger's side of the car (at least on the left-hand drive version in the USA), and you remove a couple of quarter-turn anchors to drop it down. I do not know if there are any other, auxiliary fuse locations in the car, but there's a bunch of them there.
Correct, the fuse we are talking about is in this fuse box, 5A. Not a big deal to check them all.
But the positive lead cable has to be replaced or re-connected beforehand.

ZeroEmissionz

Thu May 18, 2017 4:10 pm

still trying to figure out how to post photos onto this forum, will be drilling open the plastic (red) cover on the positive lead to see how to re-engage this, I dont even know if it has disengaged ,hmmmmm. Car shows 62% battery life still but wont charge when plugged in, might clear the codes first then try charging to see if thats what holding it back, if the codes dont clear then it must be the lead disengaged

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”