Tire repair kit in frunk - replacement BMW "Fix a Flat" goo

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drhardee

I had the unfortunate occasion to pick up a screw in my right rear tire while at the grocery store, and came out of the store to discover my tire was flat as a fritter. I remembered the tire repair kit in the frunk, and followed the directions. It worked very well, and I took the repaired tire to my local BMW dealership where fortunately, they had a "free installation" deal going on. $179.00 mounted and balanced. I asked the service advisor how to go about getting more of that green sealer "goo" that works with the tire pump system. He said he'd order it for me. Well, it came in, and the bill for just the canister of tire sealant goo was $186.00 + tax.

Jeebus! :? That's a lot to pay for fancy Fix A Flat. I wanted to make sure I keep a spare in the kit, especially when lease turn in time rolls around..

Has anyone tried to use commonly available aerosol tire repair sealant? Surely BMW's tire pressure monitoring equipment can't be that fussy that It can't work with more pedestrian products..

Get a cheap foot pump and even cheaper tyre plug kit / ream hole where nail/screw was then plug it. 20 mins and £15 to buy and future use no contest.?

Weird. When I look for the can of goo (Tire inflating bottle, 350ml) by part number (71106871122) it is available online from various BMW dealers for about $24.

I wonder if they ordered the whole kit which includes the compressor and just gave you the bottle!

FWIW, Amazon has it for $46.35 and it's less on the UK Amazon site, but they won't currently ship to the US due to a supply issue.

You are getting raped by the BMW stealership!

The original BMW set with pump and goo is around 90.- USD here in Europe.
If you just buy the goo bottle it is around 30.- USD

Here is a link for the full kit in the US:
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw-parts/bmw-m-mobility-kit/71102333674/

Still too expensive, but 180.- bucks just for the bottle is a complete joke!

Back