Blistering spot on roof.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone else noticed a blister or delamination on the carbon fiber roof? I noticed an irregular spot today. It is about 3 inches in size and can be pushed down with a finger. The height of the blister is approx. 1/16 inch. B. Jolly

It sounds like a defect. The flex could allow it to fracture, and allow moisture in, that could create more damage (especially if it got wet then froze. Now, how to fix it, you'd have to talk to the dealership.

Hopefully, this blister is a defect in only the clear coat that appears to cover the CFRP roof and that this clear coat could be reapplied. But if left unrepaired, moisture could enter the CFRP which I don't think is good for its longevity, strength, etc. This problem should be covered by your warranty, so take it to a BMW dealer ASAP.

I have the same issue on my 2014 i3 just spoken to dealer service manager needs to inspect then if he agrees apply to BMW for warranty claim. He's on a course so I have to wait 10 days for his return.
How did you get on?

Has anyone else noticed a blister or delamination on the carbon fiber roof

This has been an on-going problem for BMWs with a carbon fiber roof for years. Shows up on the M5 & M6 forums frequently. Never heard of BMW ever repairing one.

One owner reported that his fix was to peal off the entire clear-coat, then had the roof sanded and prepped, and re-clear-coated.

I do preventative maintenance, applying a detailing spray with UV block to the roof after every wash.

Geez. What does a normal roof look like? I was noticing my roof wasn't exactly black. Have they figured a lasting fix?

Back