water ‘sloshing sound’ from sills

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KolorMeCarbon

Has anyone heard any sloshing water sound coming from anywhere in their i3’s bodywork?

I have a 2016 BeV, the only liquid that should be in the car is the front screen-wash bottle, the brake-fluid and possibly coolant around the battery.

I can hear what sounds like several litres of water moving inside the car.
The sound is most noticeable on acceleration and braking at low speed. Only slight sound when cornering (or when weaving left and right ).

It’s not in the side or rear doors (I’ve given them all a shake). If it was under the rear seat it would be more audible and would have fused the electrics.

I’m guessing it’s in the composite sills, but i cannot work out how it could get in there.
Are there any rubber bungs or bolt holes that I could open up to investigate?

Hello,
I have just had the same issue.

The sloshing got so bad I was worried water may get to the batteries so i took it to the dealer yesterday. I was expecting to be charged and told I had done something to cause the issue.

It turns out that it is a known issue and BMW have a procedure to fix it.

They remove some body panels and use a template to drill a hole.

Everything is fine now. No charge.

I hear the same noise. From the passenger side. Will call the dealer and make an appointment to get it repaired (I thought I was going crazy). Thanks for posting the fix.
I found the service bulletin information: It is due to windshield seal leaking... There's a procedure for removing the windshield and resealing it plus drilling 4 holes, 5mm each.

SI B51 22 17
Body Equipment July 2017
Technical Service

SLOSHING NOISES IN DOOR SILL

MODEL
I01 (i3 & i3 REx)

SITUATION
Sloshing noises can be heard coming from the vicinity of the door sill.

CAUSE
Water leaking into body cavities through faulty windshield sealing.

CORRECTION
Drill drain holes on underside of door sill and reseal windshield.

RRBerman - Thanks for posting this information. I purchased a 2016 REx 10 days ago and noticed the sloshing sound. The dealer has had it for 3 days now. I hope to find out today when it will be fixed. How long did your fix take?

Yes. If your car still under warranty. AND if the windshield wasn't replace by someone other than the dealer with an original windshield

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but just experienced this issue myself. I bought a used i3s which had the windshield replaced with non OEM glass. I took it into the dealership anyway, and to my surprise they did the fix under warranty.

From what I understand they won’t outright deny warranty claims just because the windshield is not oem. I went in there fully expecting to foot the bill. They have a procedure to follow in which they do some testing. I do feel I got a bit lucky though as some dealerships could easily deny the claim.

TSB: SIB 51 22 18
Defect: 51 31 00 48, 51 71, 449, 51 71 539, 51 71 541, 51 99 000, 12 FRU (what does all this mean?)

In the US, there's a federal law that prevents a car manufacturer from denying a warranty claim unless work done can be directly related to the failure. IOW, if the work was done properly, and did not cause the issue, they can't deny warranty work. Not sure anyone makes a non-OEM windshield, but there are places that will install them outside of the dealer network.

Back