Whirring sound when disengaging accelerator

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derwin

I have noticed a sound that can be heard whenever I have been travelling at speed for a short time and release the accelerator pedal. It sounds like whirring and lasts for less than a second. I recorded the sound and the link to the audio is below:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhmS9XzYDwyV2lwHthXIXuQ5dZLG

If I press and release the accelerator again and again you can hear it each time, though it does seem to diminish as I slow down.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas on what it might be?

Thank you in advance!

Its the regenerative action of the drive motor as it decelerates the car and converts that energy into electrical energy stored in the battery. Normal sound for an i3.

jbrinsfi said:
Its the regenerative action of the drive motor as it decelerates the car and converts that energy into electrical energy stored in the battery. Normal sound for an i3.

Thanks for your reply.

I don't remember the sound when I first bought the car. Is that clickety/whirring definitely normal?

I have a 2015 BEV.

I'm getting a noticeable loud clacking sound when lifting my foot off the accelerator. The clacking sound is audible mostly outside the car at speeds around a sweet-spot of 30mph.
Additionally the display that normally shows the amount of regen when lifting off, displays nothing.

There are no error messages and status control displays condition of the car as OK.

I know i need to replace the brake pads soon. Could that be related to this sound?? (It's highly embarrassing when parking in a multi storey for example)

Derwin said:
I have noticed a sound that can be heard whenever I have been travelling at speed for a short time and release the accelerator pedal. It sounds like whirring and lasts for less than a second. I recorded the sound and the link to the audio is below:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AhmS9XzYDwyV2lwHthXIXuQ5dZLG

If I press and release the accelerator again and again you can hear it each time, though it does seem to diminish as I slow down.

Has anyone else encountered this? Any ideas on what it might be?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Derwin,

Where you able to fix it? Did it go away on its owm?

I’m hearing the same sound.

I'm hoping someone can share the solution as my i3 is also making this sound. It's more of a chattering relay sound when you take your foot off the accelerator. It only occurs when the car is at or near 100% charge. It also sounds like it's coming from the cars right hand side under the dash/ front. Thanks in advance

Back