High Voltage reconnect

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kraziekris

Hi, I just disconnected my high voltage battery under the frunk by pulling the green and orange plug up, it worked great but I cannot push it back down to reconnect the battery!

Any advice please?

The plug had a red tab with a green case and an orange plug inside.

Are you referring to the orange high-voltage disconnect pictured on this Web page? On our 2014 U.S. i3, this disconnect is totally orange as in the images included on the referenced Web page with nothing red or green as in your description. The 2 images of the disconnect on the referenced Web page show it mounted in different orientations 90º apart. On our i3, the disconnect plug moves vertically as in the first image rather than horizontally as in the second image.

I have opened and closed this disconnect on several occasions but have never had any difficulty closing it. The disconnect on our i3 requires a little force to open and close, but it's just a plug and socket with the plug constrained in its movement so that it cannot be totally removed. I would try squeezing the plug and socket together rather than just pushing the plug into the socket because the disconnect doesn't seem to be mounted very securely and might be broken off its mount if pushed with too much force.

Good luck!

Because the pins need to carry a lot of current, they're fairly large and requires the contact to be fairly tight. It's also possible that it's slightly cocked, and needs to be rocked slightly to align so it can be reinserted.

I am guessing that the OP eventually figured it out, but since no-one posted the correct answer here, and I just figured it out the hard way, I thought I would share what I learned. Like the OP, I could not get the disconnect slide to go back down until I realized that there is a latch clip on the left hand side that needs to be pulled out clear of the sliding part. In addition, the red tab at the top needs to be pulled up to its highest point (in case you pressed it down at all while getting the mechanism to reconnect). Once these two barriers were addressed, my sliding connector snapped back into place with ease.

I had the same problem re-engaging the high voltage safety switch. I have not been able to locate the mechanism that allows switch to pushed down again. Below is a link to a pic of my switch https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OBzfzhwn7lz8YdtJWm5BQX9QOFAFg6qM

dldan99 said:
I had the same problem re-engaging the high voltage safety switch. I have not been able to locate the mechanism that allows switch to pushed down again. Below is a link to a pic of my switch https://drive.google.com/open?id=1OBzfzhwn7lz8YdtJWm5BQX9QOFAFg6qM

Pull the red part all the way up.
Stick a small screwdriver into the opening to the left and flex the green latch away from the black part.
Push down on the black part.
When the black part is down, push down the red part.

It took me a while to get it back in. I unmounted the connector to get a better look. I flexed the opening of the green part to allow the black part to come out completely. Then I put it all back together.

I’ll weigh in on this as well. The green disconnect is a pita.

Assuming you have bent the green latch in the side out of the way.

My latch was still being blocked. You bend to have the red tab pulled up AND bend it back toward the bulk of the switch to allow the black part to slide down.

Back