BMW ConnectedDrive

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atv

This is my first BMW in a while (last one is a E36, one before that was a E21), so no experience with all of the new tech that goes into modern BMWs. The last BEV was a Fiat and it also had an app that worked over 2G (maybe it was just simple SMS, or sure) that allowed me to monitor charge level, control some things with my phone. The service was included and it was setup at the dealer so it just more or less worked.

The i3 I have now I purchased used. It’s a 2016 REX. Besides loading the app, and having BMW transfer ownership to me so I can use it, is there a service fee? Approx $50/year? Besides some “OnStar” features, and being able to watch battery levels, are there any other features?

Thanks!

BMWs come with a certain amount of time of ConnectedDrive for free, after that expires, it is $50/year. Note that it's easy to live without it, though.

Thanks for confirming, I agree, when I had the Fiat, I only used the app once in a while and there wasn’t much I felt I was giving up without it.

To note: The smartphone app can do quite a bit even without an active ConnectedDrive subscription! The info display (charging status, charge level, eDRIVE stats,) remote-control aspects (lock/unlock, flash lights, honk horn,) scheduled charging, and sending navigation to the vehicle all work without an active subscription.

The main thing that *doesn't* work is "smartphone apps linked to the car" like Pandora, Spotify, Audible. If you heavily use those, then it might be worth the cost to you. If you don't, use them, don't bother. There is a separate item that costs a couple bucks more (but to my understanding includes ConnectedDrive,) that has the onboard navigation receive traffic updates. Funnily, it will still use updated traffic info to re-route you around bad traffic, but it just won't SHOW you the bad traffic on the map.

Also note that right now they're having a sale - it's $40 instead of $50 until the end of the year.

Thnaks, I didn’t know all of those things can be done without an active subscription! How do I connect the app to the car?

Run the app, it will walk you through the process. Basically it sends a "text message" to the car that has a code that you manually type on the phone in the app. That guarantees you have physical access to the car.

Back