Plug

Charging query

Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:12 am

I've been charging at home using the 'cheap tariff' setting which has worked fine to delay the start time until 1am.

Yesterday though, for the first time I arrived back home with almost no battery charge left (4 miles range) and when I plugged in it automatically started charging. I checked my settings but nothing had changed so I couldn't understand why it started charging.

I left it charging and came back about an hour later and it had stopped after only putting a small amount of charge in (the range had gone up to 18 miles). I checked the light on the plug and it was a solid blue indicating that it was back on the 'cheap tariff' setting and sure enough when I got to the car this morning it was fully charged.

So, although this isn't really a problem, I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this ? Does it automatically charge if you are very low on battery up to a set minimum amount ? Can't remember reading about that in the handbook ?

Simon

Re: Charging query

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:10 am

Very interesting because i experienced something similar. I was observing the behaviour and reliability of the cheap tariff setting. I want to prevent to have my house installation in overload when the car is charging at 32 amps. I wanted to use this setting too. But i kept a close eye on it because i caught it charging when it did not supposed to.
So i have the cheap tariff setting to 22:00 to start, until 17:30. This prevents charging between 1730 and 2200.
Car connected to charger @1800. It did not start with charging; it did not take power.
But i had to do another unplanned drive, and came home again @20:20. And it did charge immediately! I left it charging to see what would happen and it stopped charging after 8 minutes @SOC 29%. It must have been about 25% when coming home, i am not sure. The first time @1800 it must have been about 45%.

Certainly something i am going to report with the product genius.

Plug

Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks for the info Simon, that sounds similar to what I observed.

I'll keep an eye on it and will post in this thread if it happens again.

XXL

Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:39 am

could it be it takes power to cool the battery (instead of taking this power from the battery). You both did some driving just before plugging it in.

Simon

Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:50 am

Unlikely... because it doesn't do this every time. It seems it's more depended on SOC.

i3cam

Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:46 am

The battery suffers more degradation when left at a very low SOC, therefore it would make perfect sense to immediately start charging if at only 4%, and stop at maybe 20%, leaving the main charge to continue at the scheduled time. You'd think it would be documented somewhere though !

Plug

Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:16 am

i3cam wrote:The battery suffers more degradation when left at a very low SOC, therefore it would make perfect sense to immediately start charging if at only 4%, and stop at maybe 20%
Yes, that's fine if that's what it's doing but because it's not mentioned in the handbook and nobody had previously mentioned it here it was just a bit of a surprise to me when it happened. I'll ask BMW, see what they say :)

fenlander

Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:35 am

I saw this yesterday as well. First time plugging in on a low state of charge and it immediately started charging.

Plug

Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:14 am

fenlander wrote:I saw this yesterday as well. First time plugging in on a low state of charge and it immediately started charging.
Thanks fenlander. Did it also automatically stop before reaching max. charge ?

fenlander

Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:37 am

To be honest, I'm not sure now.

I just got home with 75% (ish) charge, plugged it in and the wallbox started to flash blue, but the car socket is a steady blue. Checking the meter it is drawing 4kW, but the dash shows the timer is set and doesn't show it charging.

What is it doing with the 4kW?

[edit]

Charging, that's what - the battery % is going up. My only theory at the moment is that because I didn't plug it in at all last night and left it at 20%ish that it's trying desperately to catch up and finish last nights charge.

Deeply confused.

Return to “Problems / Troubleshooting”