Colour of navigation screen

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robi3

Normally you can change the layout of the screen 1: modern and 2: classic
Also you can change the mode for daytime nighttime or automatic.

My screen looks 99% of the time like this ( see picture below) and it does not react on changing anything. Although it works normally.

image_zps3a0329a5.jpg

Yesterday it looks normal with a blueish kind of colour ( it was in modern mode) and i changed to classic mode and than it looked normal at last.
After a stop i started again , and again the screen was in the strange colour ( i am used to it but it is not normal I supose ? ) again and i can not change it.

Are there more people who are having this strange layout?? And maybe have a solution for this, or should i go to the dealer for a software check.

In one of the former posts I have seen a screenshot and the screen looks like mine. So more people suffer this problem.

EDIT: seems to be connected with the key, with the second key everything is working correctly. But still don't know how to fix it.

Wow, I have exactly the same problem. My map is monochrome and almost unreadable due to the poor contrast between roads, background, icons, etc. Changing from Modern to Classic has no effect. Everything else appears to work: destinations, traffic, orientation, etc.

However, last Thursday I drove the car about 90 miles to a friend's house for coffee. I have a REX model and it has been coded to turn on the REX anytime and to have greater gas capacity. After visiting with my friend, and returning to the car, I found a number of things that were different. It was as if someone had messed with my car while it was parked. The following had changed:

1. Programmable button #1 no longer turned on the REX.
2. The map was in full color.
3. The rear view mirrors were adjusted differently.
4. Something else I can't remember.

The map remained in color until I restarted the car later in the day. Now we're back to the days of B&W television.

Any ideas?

Chuck Hawley
2014 i3 REX with the cheap interior, but I love the car.

chuckhawley said:
Wow, I have exactly the same problem. My map is monochrome and almost unreadable due to the poor contrast between roads, background, icons, etc. Changing from Modern to Classic has no effect. Everything else appears to work: destinations, traffic, orientation, etc.
ng to
However, last Thursday I drove the car about 90 miles to a friend's house for coffee. I have a REX model and it has been coded to turn on the REX anytime and to have greater gas capacity. After visiting with my friend, and returnithe car, I found a number of things that were different. It was as if someone had messed with my car while it was parked. The following had changed:

1. Programmable button #1 no longer turned on the REX.
2. The map was in full color.
3. The rear view mirrors were adjusted differently.
4. Something else I can't remember.

The map remained in color until I restarted the car later in the day. Now we're back to the days of B&W television.

Any ideas?

Chuck Hawley
2014 i3 REX with the cheap interior, but I love the car.

It sounds like your car loaded a different iDrive profile. iDrive profiles store the kinds of settings you mentioned got changed. You can reset all settings if you want to, which will revert you back to a 'default' profile.

Robi3 mentioned that the keys could be the reason why things are changing.

We haven't noticed differences with our i3 but with our Mini, we do have 2 distinct profiles that appear to be connected to the keys. One will change the speedo to read MPH and the other reads in KPH. Also the mirrors change positions with each key. The Mini is a 2013 so if does have some of the tech going on.

Since we don't insert the keys, it is easy to mix them up and toss them in a pocket and not realize which one we have.

You are using the "Traffic situation info" map and not the normal navigation map.

Only the regular navigation map can use "modern" or "classic", but these modes are not available with the traffic info display.
That map will always have a greyish look, so that the traffic info stands out a bit better.

I am not 100% sure how to fix it in the english version, but if you
- select navigation map
- go into traffic icon on the left hand menu
- de-select traffic map

Now you should see the "normal" navigation map and now the "classic" or "modern" design will make a difference.

As for the key:
Each key stores a separate profile.
So you have use the key that gives you the funky grey map and get the car started.
Then you change the map to what you want it to be.
If you now shut down the car, then the profile on that key should be updated to the regular map view.

jadnashuanh said:
For chance, was your trip to an adjacent country? The data available may differ by country/region.

We did make a trip to Washington State a few years back. When we travelled there, we had both key fobs. One was plugged into the car and we switched the KPH to MPH while there. The key fob remembered that setting. Then next time we used that fob, the speedo switched to MPH. Even with the 2013 tech, user profiles appear to be captured and stored in the fobs.

I posted a video here that shows how to get your "normal" navigation map back :) :

https://www.facebook.com/frank.beetz/videos/10215664769425229/

Yes, many of you are correct. I had the "traffic" mode selected, which makes the map almost unusable for navigation. By turning off this option, the color screen came back. It's hard for me to imagine ever using the traffic option. WAZE seems to be able to have attractive screens AND traffic, so perhaps BMW or their supplier should take note.

Chuck

Back