Neil

Re: I3 not following delayed off-peak charging

Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:34 am

When I purchased my i3 Rex in 2014 and expected to use low cost charging, I was in for a real surprise. Long story short, it was not reliable. I went back and forth with the dealer about this, sending in reports of the failures over periods of weeks but finally gave up as no help was forthcoming. I ended up installing a water heater timer on my EVSE (a basic Clipper Creek model) and set the car to immediate charging which solved the problem. A smarter EVSE would have eliminated the need for the timer but I had expected low cost charging to work. Silly me! :lol:
Neil L.
2014 i3 Rex, Giga World, all the trimmings.

Beardsley

Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:15 am

Sounds like a really good idea. I just ordered a "Programmable Timer Switch Time Relay Digital LCD" from amazon for $12 to wire to the on/off switch of my Bosch Power Max Level2 charger. I will post my results.

I love my i3 but I am lossing my confidance in BMWs electrification.

alohart

Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:13 am

Beardsley wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:15 am
I just ordered a "Programmable Timer Switch Time Relay Digital LCD" from amazon for $12 to wire to the on/off switch of my Bosch Power Max Level2 charger.
How many amps is your Bosch Power Max Level 2 EVSE providing and what it the amperage rating for your Programmable Timer Switch Time Relay Digital LCD? It looks like most timer switches in the $12 price range are limited to only 16 A whereas the i3 can charge at up to 30 A.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Beardsley

Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:02 pm

I am switching the on/off switch not the main power. The relay is rated at 30A which seems high, but the on/off switch is very low power just to enable the charger.

Thanks

alohart

Fri Apr 09, 2021 7:24 pm

Beardsley wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:02 pm
I am switching the on/off switch not the main power. The relay is rated at 30A which seems high, but the on/off switch is very low power just to enable the charger.
An on-off switch on the low-power side of the relay is a nice feature that few EVSE's seem to have. However, to access the low-power side, are you splicing into the internal EVSE wiring? Otherwise, all EVSE power usually comes through a single power cable that carries high power.
Aloha,
Art

2014 BMW i3 Arravani Grey, Giga World, Tech + Driving Assist, Parking Assist, DC Fast Charging, JuiceBox EVSE

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”