agzand
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:00 pm

Re: Road Trip Experience

Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:29 am

If you had hold state of charge enabled you could have stopped at every other rest stop. If you run out of gas you can drive another 10-20 miles with no fear of being stranded.

My other car is Honda Clarity PHEV and it is very comfortable as a long distance cruiser. You get 40-50 miles of EV range plus 250 miles on gas. It is a bit boring to drive however.

Neil
Posts: 59
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:11 am
Location: Davis, CA USA

Re: Road Trip Experience

Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:35 pm

For longer trips in my Rex, I keep an extra 2.5 gallon gas can in the frunk so I can have even more flexibility on when to stop to refuel.
Happy Rexing :D
Neil L.
2014 i3 Rex, Giga World, all the trimmings.

paytonc
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:56 pm

Re: Road Trip Experience

Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:55 pm

dohearne wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:49 pm
NC to Northern VA
I drive this route roundtrip about every month, and find that it's good to stop twice. I have managed it with a single stop, but prefer not to run the battery below 15%, and for my own safety/sanity like to get out every 1-2 hours. (Yes, I programmed "hold state of charge" and activate at 75%.)

On the last trip, on the way down I stopped once in Richmond for both recharge & refuel (and food), then again to refuel somewhere near the NC/VA line. On the way back, I stopped at the 1/3 and 2/3 points for both recharge & refuel (and coffee/restroom). I think those points ended up being Rocky Mount and Fredericksburg, which is more like 3/4.

I-95 is well-supplied with DC Fast chargers, from both Electrify America and EVgo, but I-85 is less so.

It's a bit slower compared to driving a conventional vehicle (I've done it straight through, no stops, in a family member's X5e), between the slower stops and the fact that I probably drive slower in the i3 -- it's noticeably twitchier and less efficient when driven faster than low 70s. However, I've grown to appreciate some of the chances to stop en route.

dohearne
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:10 am

Re: Road Trip Experience

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:51 am

I really do appreciate all the responses and ideas. I really like the i3 but I finally concluded that it was not the car for me right now. If I had 2 cars, I would absolutely purchase it. I opted for the Toyota RAV4 Prime which gives me plenty of everyday EV driving and no range anxiety on long trips. Besides my life partner of 50 years got a vote also, which won the day.

agzand
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:00 pm

Re: Road Trip Experience

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:13 am

dohearne wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:51 am
I really do appreciate all the responses and ideas. I really like the i3 but I finally concluded that it was not the car for me right now. If I had 2 cars, I would absolutely purchase it. I opted for the Toyota RAV4 Prime which gives me plenty of everyday EV driving and no range anxiety on long trips. Besides my life partner of 50 years got a vote also, which won the day.
Rav4 prime is definitely a better car for a one car household. I think it is an excellent choice and probably the best overall electrified SUV in the market right now. Did you have a hard time finding one or the inventory is catching up with demand?

dohearne
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:10 am

Re: Road Trip Experience

Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:21 am

agzand wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:13 am
dohearne wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:51 am
I really do appreciate all the responses and ideas. I really like the i3 but I finally concluded that it was not the car for me right now. If I had 2 cars, I would absolutely purchase it. I opted for the Toyota RAV4 Prime which gives me plenty of everyday EV driving and no range anxiety on long trips. Besides my life partner of 50 years got a vote also, which won the day.
Rav4 prime is definitely a better car for a one car household. I think it is an excellent choice and probably the best overall electrified SUV in the market right now. Did you have a hard time finding one or the inventory is catching up with demand?
Here in western North Carolina, the RAV4 Prime is still unavailable. I bought mine from a Toyota dealer in North Tonawanda, NY and had it shipped down. I learned of the dealership through a Facebook RAV4 Prime group. Other dealers in NY and NJ have been selling the cars by actively engaging with the FB group.

paytonc
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:56 pm

Re: Road Trip Experience

Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:08 pm

A cousin in Massachusetts has a RAV4 Prime and raves about it. Other family members are waiting to see what the Lexus version looks like, if indeed it's released for MY2022.

Something else to look into for the future is that Virginia is expanding Amtrak service to southwest Virginia (Roanoke and Christiansburg), with service into Manassas and Alexandria. Park-and-ride could be a scenic way to let someone else do the driving.

blamblam
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:59 am

Re: Road Trip Experience

Sun May 16, 2021 7:22 am

dohearne wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:16 pm
Jim, thank-you for the reply. The idea of saving money by buying the BEV and then renting for road trips I need to explore.
Kind of like renting from haul for the big truck, only when you need it; which for me, once or twice a year.

mhanch
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2020 2:32 pm

Re: Road Trip Experience

Mon May 17, 2021 11:16 am

For fun, I put together a video of a 300 mile round trip i did in my I3.

https://youtu.be/bEgOxBrDU1U

yeah, you really need Hold state of charge. but it's not too bad.

BL5
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun May 03, 2020 10:23 am

Re: Road Trip Experience

Tue May 18, 2021 10:38 am

mhanch wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 11:16 am
For fun, I put together a video of a 300 mile round trip i did in my I3.

yeah, you really need Hold state of charge. but it's not too bad.

Great video, I’ve taken that trip across I-90 in both (60aH & 94aH) i3s. I tested the REx in lower power mode across the pass, super annoying to be at 1% driving at 45mph top speed. I do have HSOC coded. Makes me wonder if BMW ever tested that scenario while developing the car.

That Cle Elum (Greenlots) charger is a rip off as they charge by the minute. I bought the $4 Electrify America pass, saves me a ton.
2015 White REx, loaded Tera, ACC
2017 White REx, every option
2018 Tesla P3

Return to “News and Main BMW i3 Forum Discussions”