Just curious if folks had average timelines for production

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisk

So, my car entered production last Friday (8/8) and while the website doesn't tell me this, the phone number tells me it is expected to complete production on 8/22. So, is two weeks in production normal? Also, anyone have clues after a car is done with production about how long it will take to ship to the west coast of the US? I am in Seattle area, so I assume is comes in through CA and then gets trucked up here... but trying to figure if I will see the car next month?
Thoughts or timelines others have experienced?

About a week is normal unless there's a supply issue for something you ordered in the vehicle...they don't like to pull one aside - there just isn't room - they flow along on a regular beat.

THen, it depends on when they can stage it to the port, and where that ship is going to be making stops how long it will take to get to your country. At the port facility, they do any last minute updates, if required, and then get it on a truck to your dealer. This process takes at least a month most of the time. The website is often behind the times...your dealer can check the status (at least in the USA) as his is updated at least daily where the customer website isn't.

Mine took 3 weeks for production, started July 8th and finished July 28th, then if caught a ride on the Don Juan on August 5th and is scheduled in port (New York) on August 25th. I understand that west coast shipping is approximately 10 days longer.

Hi Louis K,
Can you share when you placed your order? I'm at two weeks and it hasn't started production yet.... I realize the wait times have been much longer, but I'm curious if orders placed in early August are moving any faster.
Thanks!

stormsaw said:
Hi Louis K,
Can you share when you placed your order? I'm at two weeks and it hasn't started production yet.... I realize the wait times have been much longer, but I'm curious if orders placed in early August are moving any faster.
Thanks!
Unless you dealer had an unsold, preordered vehicle just ready to be built, a new order for an i3 is likely to take 3-4 months in the que then plus shipping times. The other alternative that might happen is if you dealer can find an already built one with the specs you asked for, he may be able to trade with that dealer. Unless things have changed radically just recently, the backlog of dealer orders is 3-4 months or more longer depending on the country and their allocations.

stormsaw said:
Hi Louis K,
Thanks!

Hey there... I ordered my car about mid-July, and walked out of the dealer with my production number... about 2 days later, the production number showed properly on the tracking system as having the right color and all the options I requested. It is currently scheduled to exit production on the 22nd of this month, so then I am just waiting for transit to my dealer (which I have been told can take up to 45 days).

Again, the only time that scenario works is if the dealer had already had a car on order for their stock, about to be built, and they assigned it to you and switched options to customize it for you. If the dealer has NO unsold stocks already ordered, it goes in on their next ordering opportunity, based on their allocations, and that COULD be many months before they even have a slot, and then it has to be built.

I was lucky, once I decided what I wanted, my dealer found one in the region another dealership was willing to trade, and I had it in my hands in about a week. If he had not been able to find one like that, they had one scheduled to be built for their stock that could have been modified to meet my desires, and it could have been built in a couple of weeks. BMW allows the dealers to modify an existing order almost up until the day it is supposed to start production with no penalty, and unless there's a shortage of the material for that option set, it will just get built as you asked rather than as the dealer originally ordered it (an example seems to be the Terra and the leather - that seems to be somewhat in short supply and slowing down orders for that option).

IOW, you might have to wait a fairly long time before the dealer gets another allocation and ordering opportunity, and a production number can't be assigned until that happens (at least as I understand things). When corporate sees that a dealer has a firm order for a vehicle, that can sometimes bump it up some in the cycle, but it is still based on allocations and available build slots.

Mine took about 2 months from the date of the order. After production was complete, it sat in Germany for nearly three weeks before being put on a ship. This was in July. I finally picked it up at the dealer yesterday.

Our local dealer had three in stock but none were exactly what we wanted, so he traded with another dealer for one on the boat arriving on Oct 3. I don't get the feeling that they are flying off of the shelf. In fact the reason I went for the test drive in the first place was to see if they really existed. In my neighborhood supermarket parking lot I see Teslas all the time, there are even a couple of Fiskers around, but no i cars. Yet........ ;)

Hi Guys,
It looks like BMWi is reserving production capacity "per country". Although in the Netherlands there are also not much cars around (approx 700 sold since introduction), people who order one are in for a long wait. I ordered mine May 1, 2014. It should have arrived 3rd week of July. It was pushed back for 6 weeks and finally produced on august 28th. Then the car remained in the same status "155" until september 23rd. Apparently delayed quality checks or so. All the above info I had to ask for myself, no pro-active info from BMWi nor the BMW dealer, that really sucks. Their current after sales support is a disaster. On september 26th -again my call- I learned that now the status is "193" which means apparently that transport is about to occur. Most likely in two weeks the car will be delivered and "on license". Unbelievable. Ordered week 18 for delivery week 30, delivered week 40 or week 41....
A very disappointed BMWi3 enthousiast.

Hopefully, you'll find it worth the wait. My dealer was able to trade with another for one like I wanted, so I got one in about a week after making the decision. But, there are other dealers around here that have sold their entire allotment, and are sometimes able to buy one from another dealer, but otherwise, it wait for their next allocation to arrive.

Back