i3 Software Update (USA)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadnashuanh

This went out to dealers in the USA on 13 August 2014. I don't know if this is different than the one that came out earlier in July, but expect it may be a refinement on that (rush job?), and maybe addresses things on a different tack.

The i3 software update 07-503 has been released via Service Action SI B12 16 14.

Included in this update are:

Update / Model

Air Conditioning / Heat Pump inoperability fix/ BEV

Check Engine Light fix/ REX

Improved 12V battery charging strategy
(preventing 12V battery failure and
“Drivetrain Malfunction” fault)/ BEV, REX

Temporarily revised on-board charger
(UCX/KLE) operation. Charging rate is now
temperature dependant. In some cases the
charging rate may be reduced by up to 30%
but will no longer result in the potential for a
total loss of charging. Full charging capability
of 7.4kW will be restored with further
improvements expected in late 2014. / BEV, REX

Please share this information with your customers. For any questions you may have, use the existing channels, but keep in mind the ability to escalate questions or concerns to the BMW i “A-Team” hotline.

Regards,
The BMW i Team

That's all I know about it...if you want more, contact your dealer. My guess is that people will start to get notified to make an appointment to apply the update, but that's just a guess. I did not talk to the local dealer's service rep about it.

On another front, for those interested, expect the i3 winter tire packages somewhere in the late September, early October timeframe in the USA (and probably Canada, too). Not sure what they are going to offer here, but there will be something. All of the choices are 19" as I understand it, and not staggered, but time will tell.

Boatguy said:
jadnashuanh said:
For any questions you may have, use the existing channels, but keep in mind the ability to escalate questions or concerns to the BMW i “A-Team” hotline.

Is the A-Team only available to dealers?

Sadly, George Peppard is no longer available. But Mr. T and the rest of the core A-Team gang are still available, for a price, to anyone :)

jadnashuanh said:
This went out to dealers in the USA on 13 August 2014. I don't know if this is different than the one that came out earlier in July, but expect it may be a refinement on that (rush job?), and maybe addresses things on a different tack.

The i3 software update 07-503 has been released via Service Action SI B12 16 14.
Good post thanks. I got my update and sure enough, I saw an initial peak power of 5.7 kW then quickly hitting steady state of 5.5 kW. See the link for a live data capture graph.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B5LVemnP3B4sem9PNVRpOElRV2M/edit?usp=sharing

It will be interesting to see as fall arrives and things get cooler, what that may do to the charge rates...in theory, they could go back to 'normal' levels, rather than the restricted levels more likely common when it's hot out.

Zzzoom3 said:
jadnashuanh said:

Good post thanks. I got my update and sure enough, I saw an initial peak power of 5.7 kW then quickly hitting steady state of 5.5 kW. See the link for a live data capture graph.

I observed something today I wanted to share. I can't speak for others but I was under the impression this software update capped the charge rate at 5.5 kWh which it seems to do usually. I glossed over the statement the reads, "Charging rate is now temperature dependant. In some cases the charging rate may be reduced by up to 30%". Thirty percent less that 7.4 is 5.2

Today on an 80+ deg day, I noticed my charge rate maxed out at 4.8 kWh. At 1st I thought, that was odd and then I remembered this thread. So I only have this 1 charge session as evidence so far, but your charge rate could perhaps actually be less than 30% if the software is actually managing it based on temperature??

Zzzoom3 said:
Zzzoom3 said:
jadnashuanh said:

I observed something today I wanted to share. I can't speak for others but I was under the impression this software update capped the charge rate at 5.5 kWh which it seems to do usually. I glossed over the statement the reads, "Charging rate is now temperature dependant. In some cases the charging rate may be reduced by up to 30%". Thirty percent less that 7.4 is 5.2

Today on an 80+ deg day, I noticed my charge rate maxed out at 4.8 kWh. At 1st I thought, that was odd and then I remembered this thread. So I only have this 1 charge session as evidence so far, but your charge rate could perhaps actually be less than 30% if the software is actually managing it based on temperature??

What I think you meant to say is, your charge rate could be less than 70% or reduced more than 30%.

I got this update yesterday to fix the air conditioner which stopped working after the last update (for the bev drive train failure issue)

So far so good. It reset some of my settings (soft keys, favorite stations, unlock chimes) - no big deal.

It also seems to have changed the 'car' graphic that appears when in reverse - or in park assist. Way cooler.

I was contacted by phone a few days ago about a software update. Does anyone know how critical this is? I will need to take the car in to the dealer around Sept 10, either to get my permanent plates, or extended temporary ones. Can I wait to do both at the same time? I will be driving ~200 mils round trip to the beach next weekend, and was wondering if it was important enough to take it in to the dealer this week.

bdcrane said:
I was contacted by phone a few days ago about a software update. Does anyone know how critical this is? I will need to take the car in to the dealer around Sept 10, either to get my permanent plates, or extended temporary ones. Can I wait to do both at the same time? I will be driving ~200 mils round trip to the beach next weekend, and was wondering if it was important enough to take it in to the dealer this week.
See above regarding what the update fixes then decide. The biggest issue is a change to the onboard charger. If it fails, you won't be able to charge the car which would be a major problem obviously.

The service advisor also indicated this week that there are some tweaks to the navigation system not listed in the original post. I do not know the details and haven't had it installed yet.

I believe there are multiple software packages running, each of which can be updated independently. The entertainment system for example can be updated by the owner. Settings > Software update > Show current version

Others though can be accessed only using the service center's diagnostic tools. Some people posted that the early US software updates required the car be patched into BMW servers and participation from BMW NA engineers in NJ.

stumbledotcom said:
I believe there are multiple software packages running, each of which can be updated independently. The entertainment system for example can be updated by the owner. Settings > Software update > Show current version

Others though can be accessed only using the service center's diagnostic tools. Some people posted that the early US software updates required the car be patched into BMW servers and participation from BMW NA engineers in NJ.
That's probably true. I'm picking up a car tomorrow and want to determine whether or not it has the update referenced at the beginning of this thread.

Back