i3 2014 COLLISION AVOIDANCE

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrMagicPotato

Altough I'm really satisfied with my i3 REX 2014, a thing that really left me upset is about the anti-collision system. :evil: :x

Now, lets make things clear.

The BMW i3 2014 is equipped with the collision warning system and the emergency brake system, which is made functional with the rear camera. Plus it has several proximity sensors both in the front in the back for the park assist and automatic parking functions. So the car, by itself, is completely able to avoid crushes and bumps at really slow speeds when parking (at least theorically).

What's the point, though?!? The point is that the later released BMW i3 2015 was "UPGRADED" with the 360° COLLISION AVOIDANCE SYSTEM, which basically introduces the capability of avoiding any types of crashes 360° around the car at slow speeds with the surroinding obstacles, as it is clearly shown in this video: https://youtu.be/rq0Wg_h_XXQ.

In that video you can see that girl driving BLINDFOLDED and the car stopping at any critical collision point before the crash occurs.
NOW, is there a way to UPDATE my "old" i3 2014 with this avoidance system via a HACKED SYSTEM UPDATE or something else?!?! :mrgreen: :idea:
Because in my mind the two cars have IDENTICAL hardware, as I don't think that new kind of sensors were ever introduced for this kinda of technology! :ugeek:

IF THIS FEATURE WAS EVER PORTED TO THE OLDER I3s IT WOULD MAKE THEM ALMOST "ACCIDENTAL DAMAGE PROOF"!!!
Hope that this idea gets heard enough!

Thanks in advance for those kind souls that answer! :D

maxresdefault.jpg

As far as I'm aware, that was a 'concept' video released for the 2015 CES show, as something for next generation development. It doesn't actually exist.

MKH said:
As far as I'm aware, that was a 'concept' video released for the 2015 CES show, as something for next generation development. It doesn't actually exist.
This is my recollection as well.

Unlike Tesla, BMW has done very little to upgrade i3 capabilities since 2013. Exceptions are better traction control/dynamic stability control and iDrive introduced in 2018 models.

alohart said:
MKH said:
This is my recollection as well.

Unlike Tesla, BMW has done very little to upgrade i3 capabilities since 2013. Exceptions are better traction control/dynamic stability control and iDrive introduced in 2018 models.

Wow... Ok. So disappointed right now... Thanks anyway though..
Are there any other significant tweaks that I can actually make to my i3 right now? Like downgrading the power of the motor for making it consume less?

Like downgrading the power of the motor for making it consume less?

No, but you can increase range by reducing overall electricity usage, by instead of running in 'Comfort' mode, run in 'Eco Pro', or 'Eco Pro+, and by setting the car to pre-condition before unplugging, so AC or Heater isn't trying to get the cabin to temp while starting your trip, running on the battery.

By just driving conservatively, don't accelerate hard – keep the white marker below the 4th bar on your power-o-meter, and use, 'one-pedal' driving - learning to drive with just the accelerator pedal, and letting the regen-braking slow and stop the car. Just be cautious when learning one-pedal. If you hit a bump, or turn sharply, the regen braking disengages to protect the components from damage - and the car will seem to jump ahead like a scared rabbit, simply because the motor braking system is no longer slowing the car down. No problem if you are aware, but has caught a few drivers by surprise.

A tip I read online when I bought my Prius forever ago was to press the accelerator pedal as if you had a raw egg between it and your foot. You can press it, but gently apply pressure, don't press hard/fast.

alohart said:

You are referring to the i3s here right?

MKH said:
Like downgrading the power of the motor for making it consume less?

No, but you can increase range by reducing overall electricity usage, by instead of running in 'Comfort' mode, run in 'Eco Pro', or 'Eco Pro+, and by setting the car to pre-condition before unplugging, so AC or Heater isn't trying to get the cabin to temp while starting your trip, running on the battery.

By just driving conservatively, don't accelerate hard – keep the white marker below the 4th bar on your power-o-meter, and use, 'one-pedal' driving - learning to drive with just the accelerator pedal, and letting the regen-braking slow and stop the car. Just be cautious when learning one-pedal. If you hit a bump, or turn sharply, the regen braking disengages to protect the components from damage - and the car will seem to jump ahead like a scared rabbit, simply because the motor braking system is no longer slowing the car down. No problem if you are aware, but has caught a few drivers by surprise.

Ok, thanks a lot for the thorough advice!

Back