Sunshades for the windshield that work

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CKE7

Hello, I live in the desert and must find a solution for the sun heating up my i3 interior through the windshield like a magnifying glass! I'd like to hear from those of you who have first hand experience with after market sunshades for this huge window. Either positive or negative.

I have looked at custom sized sunshade products from weather tech, introtech ultimate, covercraft, heatshield, coverking and maybe a few more. I've read reviews and it doesn't appear that any of these custom made sunshades actually fit the i3 windshield adequately. More confusing, some reviews are 100 percent positive and then for the same product another review says it doesn't fit but has unacceptably large gaps on the sides and around the mirror. All suggestions welcome; it will be 100+ degrees soon. :evil:

(I've read the info posted here on 3M UV coatings and think I'll need to invest in that as well.)

Thanks.

Have you looked at the official the BMW one?

They sell one that mounts on the outside of the car. It insulates the windshield and both front door windows. Part number 82 15 2 348 067 - Try eBay, one of the on-line BMW parts sources or a BMW dealer.

BMW also make sun screens that mount inside the rear windows and hatch. I've got the rear side ones. They work well but are expensive. They are removable.

The rear side windows are 51 46 2 349 827. You need two - one for each side.
The hatch sunshade is 51 46 2 348 070

This is the one I found - sorry for the cr@py pic, my driveway is shaded by a large tree. I have (had) tint all around, including the front windshield - came with the car when I bought it. I removed the windshield UV tint - was top-of-the-line stuff, but it was still like looking through cheap plastic sunglasses - gave me a headache. Yes, there is a gap around the windshield sensor housing and rear-view mirror, but any tighter and I think you'd be knocking the mirror askew every time you put it up, which is maybe why the space.

Shade.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-BMW-i3-14-17-Custom-Made-Folding-Heat-Shield-Windshield-Sun-Visor-SunShade/332910178038?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

CKE7 said:
(I've read the info posted here on 3M UV coatings and think I'll need to invest in that as well.)
Heat is infrared (IR), not ultraviolet (UV), so the tint for rejecting heat would reject IR, not UV.

I would love to find an IR-rejecting film that is designed to be installed on the exterior of the roof. I feel lots of heat radiating down from the headliner after our i3 has been parked in the sun. There must not be much or any heat insulation between the headliner and roof.

Thanks, all. I'll write back to report on how what I chose works. FYI I'm also looking for an X1 shade since BMW no longer makes one that fits 2018. I need to look for an X1 forum....

Debbie, I know about the big outside bunting. Since I'm in very hot weather, I use the shade frequently and it needs to be convenient. I know that I would not want to take the time and to wrap the car, especially when it's over 100. Even if I might think that I would, I would not. LOL

Donna

CKE7 said:
Art, yes I meant IR. I've seen other posters here recommend the 3M Crystalline series for windows. Don't know if it works on body. :)
That film will NOT last on the exterior...It does a good job on IR, and an excellent one on UV. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Automotive-Window-Film-Crystalline-Series/?N=5002385+3292716668&rt=rud

There's something like 200-layers of various materials on it. It is not metallic, so doesn't affect cellular or gps signals with say your phone.

The problem with any film on the interior, though, is that there will always be some heat absorbed in the glass as it has to pass through it twice as it's reflected back.

Jim DB: I came across this article. https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/experiment-3m-crystalline-tint-makes-zero-difference-cabin-temp

I assume this has not been your experience?

I've had good results with the i3 sunshade from WeatherTech in my 2015 i3 REx. Am in the north Ft. Worth, TX area and the sun is a beater here. It's light weight, rollable/foldable, covers the entire windshield and is not a pain in the a** to stash it behind the front seats. It also has a nicely designed center cut that blocks out the sun which allows it to be tucked up nicely around the back of the rear view mirror without moving it.

I tried, and returned, the two-piece product from Covercraft. It's bulky and is unwieldy when trying to "park" it somewhere inside my i3 when not in use. The prices between the two are comparable to the others out there: about $60.

I physically looked at the product from BMW that was mentioned in another post. That's a nice piece but went away thinking it might be also unwieldy for daily use. It possibly would be a good solution for long term outside parking at an airport or such.

Hope this helps...

Lesbi3: thanks for your input. I've been thinking I need to try a rolled type of shade. I bought a one-piece folding shade from Itro-Tech, which is supposed to be customized for the i3, but the center cut out is HUGE! About 6" on either side of the post that holds the rear view mirror to the windshield is exposed and down about 18". I have been debating whether to keep it or get something else. Based on your experience, I'm going to return it, and get a rolled one.

I drive in the Western US and have had a good experience with my Heatshield for the windshield. It rolls up and has a Velcro closure – I toss it in the back seat when not using it.

I bought mine in 2014 – Heatshield hadn't yet worked out an exact fit but looking at pics on their website today it appears things are in better shape now.

https://www.heatshieldstore.com/car-window-shades/2019-bmw-i3-hatchback-5d

Regarding tint:
Considering what your legislative environment allows, tint as many windows as you can, with as much IR protection as you can. The i3 has high IR gain from its huge windshield. I have SunTek CXP Series all around with the windshield at 80% transmittance – it's very good in cutting heat gain but I wish I could get even more.

Select a competent installer, the windshield in an i3 is not an easy one to do.

That said, keep in mind night driving. The i3 has a big A-pillar – combine that with a darkly tinted windshield and the driver's workload is increased at night. I often wish that, when driving at night, that I had no tint at all.

3M's Crystalline tint blocks a significant amount of IR and UV without being dark. It's a bit harder to install because it is thicker than many, and 3M only sells it to dealerships that have taken their training, so may not be available in as many places. Installed properly, it is optically perfect.

Thanks for the advice on window coating, tinting. My ICE mechanic is top notch so he will know where to get this done. And I’ll try aa roll up windshield shade.

And I’ll try a roll up windshield shade.

This one fits - but the seller has gotten a little pricey - when I bought mine a month or so ago, it was $31
-
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fit-BMW-i3-14-17-Custom-Made-Folding-Heat-Shield-Windshield-Sun-Visor-SunShade/332910178038?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

REVIEW: Intro-Tech BM-71-R Ultimate Reflector Custom Fit Folding Windshield Sunshade for Select BMW i3 Models, Silver, Sold by: Driver Mods, Amazon

Cost: $48.98
3 stars -- Even though the Amazon car-model-finder and the seller say the product custom fits my 2016 i3 Rex, it does not. The construction is good however so I gave it 3 stars instead of 2. The photos speak for themselves. There's a huge gap-- in one photo, the ruler reads 6" on either side of the rear view mirror attachment.

Sorry, no photos, I can't figure out how to attach them. Are attachments allowed on this post? But you can find my review on Amazon.

I have this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Custom-Fit-Windshield-SunShade-Heat-Shield-Sun-Shade-For-BMW-i3-2014-2017/163401171428
It is well made and fits precisely. The center cutout is a bit large, but it helps to clear the mirror when installing or removing.

Back